1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, you can tell I'm excited. I got my reloading system in on Monday. (Lee turret,etc...) Read the instructions, set up everything as per instructions. Loaded my first .45's last night using Winchester Super Target and Precision Bullets. 4grns. of WST and 230 grn ball. Went to the range today at lunch and shot my first 50 loads. I could'nt be happier. I've gotten a little milder recoil with the 4 grns. and saved almost $10 on a box of 50! Not to mention that I didn't blow up my gun or get a bullet stuck in the barrel! Bought more primers and I'm ready to load up another 400 within the week. Man, this is addictive. I even let my 11 year old load one. he got the biggest kick out of "making bullets" And he already figured out that by reloading about 10 to 12 boxes of 50 I will have saved enough money to buy him a Nintendo 64. Ha, had to explain that reloading allowes me to shoot more, not save money!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Congratulations! (And welcome to that strange land where you "save money" but don't have any more than you had before.
)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
350 Posts
(Primitive Tim Allen grunting voice here)

Make bullets cheaper,,,,save money.

....Mmmmm more money,,,,,buy more bullets,,,,,powder,,,,primers

Shoot more. Where money go???

--------------------------------------

The only thing that keeps me from going bankrupt is that I'm reloading on a singlestage press. Otherwise, I'd be able to load so much faster, hence shoot more, that I'd be broke.

H4444

·
Registered
674 Posts
ScottsGT, glad to hear you having so much fun. I just started shooting matches and I think I am going to start reloading so I can save money(Ha, Ha).

Give me more details. How long did it take you to set up and run those 50 rounds on the Turret press. Did you learn to do this from someone, or were the load manuals and press instructions simple enough to learn on your own.

I can sympathize on the Nintendo. My son is a gamer and has one of every machine on the market so far. He even went to my mother to see if she still had my old Atari in the attic. I lucked out though and got a job with one of the game makers so my cost is minimal.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Glad to hear of your success!

I know I stay broke thanks to guns, reloading, and bullet casting. Of course factory ammo purchasers rarely have to spend hours on end thinking of where on earth they're going to put all that ammo.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I still remember my first box of .41 Magnums made up with a Lee hand tool set. With home cast bullets, my cost was less than fifty cents a box. The .41 was a new cartridge then, and was all the rage.

Since then, I have saved enough money reloading to buy dozens of guns and to shoot them a lot.

Wonderful!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Welcome to the club, and Well Done!

I'm sure you will be happy to know that you have acquired an addiction that offers only pleasure, and no pain, and enhances your shooting hobbies to boot.

What more could you ask for?

I'll bet your family is proud to know that their dad can be counted on to make the good decisions.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WaltherP99Man: You know, I really didn't keep pace of my time. I was just into the art of it all. But this am while waiting on the kids bus to pick them up, I cranked out 10 rds, in less than two mins. But I already have all my cases sized and primed. But if I had to guess, I'd say about a half hour for my first ones. But it will get faster.
But I think we need to talk about YOUR employee discounts here......

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by ScottsGT:
WaltherP99Man: You know, I really didn't keep pace of my time. I was just into the art of it all. But this am while waiting on the kids bus to pick them up, I cranked out 10 rds, in less than two mins. But I already have all my cases sized and primed. But if I had to guess, I'd say about a half hour for my first ones. But it will get faster.
Is that the advantage to your setup then? You did the sizing and I think I read you had a hand primer so you did the priming at a different time. Cases basically ready to go and have at it? Sort of single stage/progressive hybrid. That is probably the way I would do it too. So that may be the way I should go.

But I think we need to talk about YOUR employee discounts here......
I get that one a lot. We get 10 games a year on the anniversary of our hire date. Mine happens to be 5 weeks before Christmas when all the new stuff comes out so junior pretty much smokes my limit in one pass.

Getting back to the other part of my question. Were you able to learn to do this from the manuals, or did someone walk you through the process?

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ah yes, those sweet memories of that first time....er...um that I went to the range and shot bullets I had reloaded.

I'll never forget it. No Sireee....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts