1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source of thin grips that are made in Cocobolo, Ebony, or carbon fiber?

Thanks

------------------
Amboss Oder Hammer Sein

·
Registered
152 Posts
I came across this post in my search to find black, thin grips for a commander.

Any ideas?

gewehr3, did you have any luck?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm gonna' whittle some stocks down to a thinner config for my small hands, anyone know the sizes of the screws and escutcheons?Have any suggestions? BTW...I've already checked the archives...These are for a SA Champion...I think I'm gonna' try to work around them to start with, it'll still leave them thicker in a couple spots, but that might be alright if I can get a template for the ones to follow...

TIA...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Brownell's sells a set of four replacement screws and bushings for the AFS slim tech grips.

Part number 064-110-004 $12.33.

Rather than modifying stock screws & bushings, it would probably be more efficient to buy these and then whittle your stock grips to fit.

[This message has been edited by Wade (edited 02-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I concur, Wade...I've been searching for these for a month. I saw them a while back while browsing, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember where I saw them! That was my plan all along. I found some inexpensive checkered blanks[$6us] and am planning to create a template or model of some sort to make thin stocks out of scraps...I climb trees for a living and always wind up with wood of all different kinds. If I can come up with somethin' cool, I'll post a pic...I'm definately gonna' come up with somethin'. I can't see spendin' 30 or 40 bucks on plain stocks...especially during the winter when I have so much down time to occupy. I'll let ya'll know what I come up with. My first ones will be cedar and aspen, maybe maple if I can locate a nice piece. I already have the cedar and aspen...

Thanks for the info...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

BTW...00...Did the CMC stoks come with bushings and screws?

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 02-10-2001).]

Wow! this # 500...man...since December?

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 02-10-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, though I was wanting to sell it to fund a CQB mate for my lwt Protector, I'm in the process of trading it for a tricked out AR15 (another of my firearm weaknesses).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just make your own. Turn on the belt sander and thin out a pair of existing grips from the bottom side. Then grind, sand or file down the grip screw bushings, just leave them screwed into the frame and take off about half the protruding height.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks banjobart...that's what have been doing! I still want to use Torx or Hex heads and that's what I'll wind up with eventually.

My main thing at this point is getting this template thingee' done correctly...After that, piece a' cake...

Thanks for tips...Keep 'em comin'!!!

I have sources for the hardware...just don't know what size it is...I'm not goin' in the stock biz'...just wanna' make some for myself and a few friends...No one is using the wood I'll eventually use for these, so there may be a small market for them...I just have to keep busy 'til the snow goes away
...I love it to play in, but it sucks for climbin' trees!

Tanx...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I filed down the grips on my Baer (using a half bastard file) along the lines of the Navidrex contour grips sold by Brownells. Came out pretty good and because I contoured the grips instead of thinning them all the way down, I was able to use the original bushings and screws. Countouring has the same effect as ultra thin grips except that it's better since it helps ease your hand into position.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That's the thought I was having as well...Probably looks kinda' cool too...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts