1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob question - Can standard grips be put on a frame (Govt/Commander) that has thin grip bushings installed, if standard length grip screws are used?

Wanted to try Colt's standard rubber grips on a Wiley Clapp Commander that has thin grip bushings. - Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm not sure the Wiley Clapp grips are slim. They are unique in that they feel slim, but I don't think they use slim bushings. I could be easily wrong, so hopefully someone who has messed with them lately will chime in.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure the Wiley Clapp grips are slim. They are unique in that they feel slim, but I don't think they use slim bushings. I could be easily wrong, so hopefully someone who has messed with them lately will chime in.
They are thin. They were designed with slightly less than standard thickness toward the rear and then taper significantly towards the front strap. If you look at them on the gun from the bottom, it's like an offset oval. I've had the grips off. The bushings are very low and the grip screws are very short.

I have smaller hands so the WC grips work well for me, but I really like the standard Colt rubber grips for shooting and want to try them (a whoppng $9.99 at Midway USA).

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Noob question - Can standard grips be put on a frame (Govt/Commander) that has thin grip bushings installed, if standard length grip screws are used?

`

you can, but you'll need to be aware of screw possibly protruding into frame as you tighten them
(especially with rubber grips)

with standard bushings, most standard screws will bottom out on the bushing before protruding into frame.
not so with thin bushing using standard screws

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
`

you can, but you'll need to be aware of screw possibly protruding into frame as you tighten them
(especially with rubber grips)

with standard bushings, most standard screws will bottom out on the bushing before protruding into frame.
not so with thin bushing using standard screws

..L.T.A.
Thanks Cappi. I will definitely check for that.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The Wiley Clapp Commander grips are only slightly slimmer (.200"), and they use those large head screws that are sunken below the surface of the grip panel's pronounced ogive (because of the 'extra' taper at the front of the panel, as mentioned). So they do require the shorter 'slim' bushing...
however... Colt's slim bushing is different from the typical aftermarket slim bushing. Colt's bushing is even shorter, and smaller in diameter, as it does not have the seating shoulder from the original design 'stepped' bushing.
If using other grips with these grip bushings, you will experience a sloppy fit and will have to rely solely on the grip screws to locate and secure the grips.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Wanted to try Colt's standard rubber grips on a Wiley Clapp Commander that has thin grip bushings. - Thanks for any info.
11-05-13
Yes, the Wiley Clapp Colt LW Commander has slim grip bushings.
I have used a number of different standard thickness grip panels with standard length grip screws on mine. I did use a #60 o ring on the screws to preclude grip screw loosening under recoil.
I had No issues with grip screw protrusion / mag interference.
Mike

·
Premium Member
20,427 Posts
Why chance it? They're cheap. If you just want to try them on I guess it's OK. Otherwise you'll never be sorry for doing it right.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There is a shoulder/seat in the grip panel under the screw that could be pulled through if the correct bushing isn't used.

If you tighten the screw too much.

Bushings are cheap.

I would advise to try the feel of the new panels with the short bushing and if you liked them buy the correct bushings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts