1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a reputable company who makes a good, thin, wood gun grip? I've recently bought a Kimber 1911 Custom Nightstar, (my first gun purchase, ever). The wooden grips that Kimber installed are beautiful, but my hands are a bit on the smaller side, so I'm looking for thinner grips, with the notch cut in for the mag release. Been all over the internet, and it seems there are countless ones out there, which makes it even more difficult. Not sure if one brand or manufacturer is " better" than another, etc. Any info or advice anyone can offer up would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
Esmeralda offers thin wood grips 1911 Slender Full Size – Exotic Grips by Esmeralda

The wooden grips that Kimber installed are beautiful, but my hands are a bit on the smaller side, so I'm looking for thinner grips, with the notch cut in for the mag release.
If the desire is to be able to reach the mag release with a shooting grip, I think this is an issue of managing expectations. I wouldn't be able to reach the mag release with no grips on the gun, but then I don't expect to be able to reach the mag release with a shooting grip. I use standard thickness grips.

The things I need to be able to reach with a shooting grip are the trigger and the thumb safety. I'm better off not being able to reach the mag release and the slide stop with my right hand in a shooting grip because then I can't cause the gun to malfunction by fouling the slide stop or mag release.

Here's Shannon Smith, with a Glock, but it applies to most guns, at about the 2:05 mark

Edit to add: 1) you'll need to replace your standard grip bushings to use thin grips.

2) I'm not sure there are thin wood grips available with a thumb scoop. Wood may not be strong enough to allow that. They may be out there, but I don't recall seeing any.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
VZ offers nearly any grip in a slim/thin version if your want a G10 grip. In wood, check out Esmeralda's site but you'd also be surprised how many nice grips are on eBay, especially thins.

When you get to super addict level (I know, I have serious issues and I'm seeking help) you buy scales and send the off to a grip maker and get what you want. I only like slims on all my guns, be it full size, bobtail or compacts so that what I do now.

This is a recent delivery I got from Jon at High Figure Grips

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get altamont, they come with thin bushings and screws. Very good price too

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
When you get to super addict level (I know, I have serious issues and I'm seeking help) you buy scales and send the off to a grip maker and get what you want. I only like slims on all my guns, be it full size, bobtail or compacts so that what I do now.
Per the OP's question - are you aware of any grip makers that produce wood thin grips with the thumb notch?

I've looked around, and tried to remember, but I can't think of any.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Per the OP's question - are you aware of any grip makers that produce wood thin grips with the thumb notch?

I've looked around, and tried to remember, but I can't think of any.
YES. Try Wood Caliber. www.woodcaliber.com Use their system to choose every feature. They make awesome wood grips.

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
YES. Try Wood Caliber. www.woodcaliber.com Use their system to choose every feature. They make awesome wood grips.
I'm not that familiar with their website, but I tried the custom configuration and it wouldn't even let me choose thin grips.

Edit to add: they have a note indicating they will offer thin grips in the future. At least on their website it doesn't appear to me you can get thin grips with a thumb scoop.

I'd like to find the OP what he is looking for, but I can't find it.

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a reputable company who makes a good, thin, wood gun grip? I've recently bought a Kimber 1911 Custom Nightstar, (my first gun purchase, ever). The wooden grips that Kimber installed are beautiful, but my hands are a bit on the smaller side, so I'm looking for thinner grips, with the notch cut in for the mag release. Been all over the internet, and it seems there are countless ones out there, which makes it even more difficult. Not sure if one brand or manufacturer is " better" than another, etc. Any info or advice anyone can offer up would be greatly appreciated!!!
If the pistol is strictly for target shooting, I’ll butt out: lots of choices.

For S.D. sidearm, at the moment, I’m sensitive to whether the grip stocks have adequate structural integrity. Due to a current thread, I‘d be ready to try Esmerelda myself; a prerequisite to recommending. Sarge’s I can recommend. For work-a-day, beautiful, inexpensive m1911 grip stocks, many I’ve bought from CDNN; generally 1911 maker OEM stocks: Colts’, Ruger, Sig, S&W. These would likely be roughly equivalent to the OEM stocks on your pistol. Some with no brand markings, or removable markings such as medalions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not that familiar with their website, but I tried the custom configuration and it wouldn't even let me choose thin grips.

Edit to add: they have a note indicating they will offer thin grips in the future. At least on their website it doesn't appear to me you can get thin grips with a thumb scoop.

I'd like to find the OP what he is looking for, but I can't find it.
I think if you send them a note, they will do it. The customizer hasn't been upgraded to offer it in the options yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the pistol is strictly for target shooting, I’ll butt out: lots of choices.

For S.D. sidearm, at the moment, I’m sensitive to whether the grip stocks have adequate structural integrity. Due to a current thread, I‘d be ready to try Esmerelda myself; a prerequisite to recommending. Sarge’s I can recommend. For work-a-day, beautiful, inexpensive m1911 grip stocks, many I’ve bought from CDNN; generally 1911 maker OEM stocks: Colts’, Ruger, Sig, S&W. These would likely be roughly equivalent to the OEM stocks on your pistol. Some with no brand markings, or removable markings such as medalions.
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VZ offers nearly any grip in a slim/thin version if your want a G10 grip. In wood, check out Esmeralda's site but you'd also be surprised how many nice grips are on eBay, especially thins.

This is a recent delivery I got from Jon at High Figure Grips

View attachment 603612
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
X2+ Wood Caliber. Build your own grips. If your having a problem on the site keep going, before you go to check out you can ask any questions and they will contact you

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts