1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the rough blue print for a pistol I'm building in my noggin, but the one thing I can't quite square is whether I want to use fiber rods in tandem with it. I mean normally I wouldn't even consider it, but the company building the slide for it has essentially one adapter plate style for the red dot I intend to use:

Plastic Font Rectangle Electronics accessory Auto part

So like the title says, I'm wondering if fiber sights co-witnessed with a red dot wouldn't make things a little 'busy' with respect to the sight picture. I figured I'd see if anyone's ever tried it and what they thought of it. Maybe I'm just over thinking things again. I do have a bad habit of doing that. I guess if I don't like it there's always the option of coloring the rods black or popping them out and filling the holes if it bugs me bad enough.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I have never tried that type of adapter plate, and I agree it might divert your eyes from the red dot when mounting the gun. I use a Burris Fastfire II on one of my pistols, and it has a 6 MOA red dot. I have to concentrate on mounting the gun when I draw from the holster, since it takes time to mount the gun the same way each time to see the dot when the pistol reaches eye level. I also have another pistol I use for USPSA competition that has a C-More railway with an 8 MOA red dot. I have used this gun for many years, and I mount the gun to eye level very well. I pick up the red dot when I start to extend the gun toward the target, so the shot breaks as soon as I have the dot in my aiming area. I also use a red dot optic on my AR-15, that has an adjustable reticle that can be used as red, or green. The optic was relatively inexpensive, but has worked very well.....I don't remember the name of the optic......:unsure:

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I think it is too busy. Even the actual dot should not be a focus of your vision. In addition, I am not even sure what the utility of rear fiber anyway, regardless of the type of sights. I also don't like rear sights that can't be drifted.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Fusion plate for slides they've pre-milled for a red dot.
I have never tried that type of adapter plate, and I agree it might divert your eyes from the red dot when mounting the gun. I use a Burris Fastfire II on one of my pistols, and it has a 6 MOA red dot. I have to concentrate on mounting the gun when I draw from the holster, since it takes time to mount the gun the same way each time to see the dot when the pistol reaches eye level. I also have another pistol I use for USPSA competition that has a C-More railway with an 8 MOA red dot. I have used this gun for many years, and I mount the gun to eye level very well. I pick up the red dot when I start to extend the gun toward the target, so the shot breaks as soon as I have the dot in my aiming area. I also use a red dot optic on my AR-15, that has an adjustable reticle that can be used as red, or green. The optic was relatively inexpensive, but has worked very well.....I don't remember the name of the optic......:unsure:
I'm planning to put a Holosun on there when all's said & done. But I suppose it's not too late to change course until the optic is bought 'n paid for. I could always get the plate with no rear sight and shift to an RMR pattern. Obviously that would forgo co-witnessing. They also have an RMR adapter that looks the same, without holes drilled for the fiber rods. But that just looks funny to my eye.

I think it is too busy. Even the actual dot should not be a focus of your vision. In addition, I am not even sure what the utility of rear fiber anyway, regardless of the type of sights. I also don't like rear sights that can't be drifted.
Pretty much hit the other thoughts that were floating around in my head. The front sights will slide into a normal dovetail, so there will still be some ability to make adjustments but I'll agree it would be better if the rear could be drifted as well. Doesn't exactly put me in my happiest place, but might* be live-able. The rear fiber thing is perplexing to me too.

If you do it, use green FO rods so they mess less with your eyes and the dot.

Or just tip them with a sharpie.
The first suggestion was the original plan when mapping it out in my head. The sharpie idea was my back up plan if it turns out I hate it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Whatever works for you, man. I'm guessing this would go on a 1911 project? My Springfield Hellcat is the only pistol I have that's cut for an optic like that, and I still haven't tried one. I like to shoot from the hip (kidding).

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
The first suggestion was the original plan when mapping it out in my head. The sharpie idea was my back up plan if it turns out I hate it. :ROFLMAO:
Don't laugh too much- on my last few guns purchased with white dots, I had to sharpie the dots out... shoot them MUCH better with an all black rear.

Especially if this is just a back up/co-witness situation while you learn the optic. Seeing it's an option, I'd just buy the blank rear sight plate, but if you think the optic is just an experiment and you may return to sights, go with the sharpie.

(edits for pre-coffee typos)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Levian What pistol are you planning on building that requires a optic base . You can cut your slide for your dot optic to mount direct and give you a dove tail cut if needed in front of the optic and some optics use the same foot print like trijicon rmr and holosun & have alignment pins to be sure the optic does not move at all and your photo does not show those .

For me rear White dots get some black marker applied . I also prefer green red for optics or fiver rods . I can see green better under varied lighting conditions and keep the sights at a lower intensity setting . Better for those of us dealing with astigmatism .

If your dot optic handgun is for carry and your focusing on your sight's your not focused on your target so your screw'n up . On a dot optic equipped handgun your stock sights are for back up only so there no need for something distracting like fiber optic rear sights or even white dots .

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Levian What pistol are you planning on building that requires a optic base . You can cut your slide for your dot optic to mount direct and give you a dove tail cut if needed in front of the optic and some optics use the same foot print like trijicon rmr and holosun & have alignment pins to be sure the optic does not move at all and your photo does not show those .

For me rear White dots get some black marker applied . I also prefer green red for optics or fiver rods . I can see green better under varied lighting conditions and keep the sights at a lower intensity setting . Better for those of us dealing with astigmatism .

If your dot optic handgun is for carry and your focusing on your sight's your not focused on your target so your screw'n up . On a dot optic equipped handgun your stock sights are for back up only so there no need for something distracting like fiber optic rear sights or even white dots .

It's a 1911. Not sure that I'll ever actually carry it since the general idea is range toy with a few extra embellishments, but I'm keeping that possibility in mind since at some point or other I carry just about everything I've got. I went with Fusion for the slide since they offer the option to have it cut for their adapter plates, I figure that's simpler than buying a slide and sending it somewhere. Have it come cut 'n ready and call it good. And if I want a change later I'm not married to a single foot print. I think their RMR cut plate does have that alignment tab you were talking about, the one I'm planning to use is a different footprint.

And agreed on the focal point, which is why I posed the question. The idea is eyes on target, so the question at hand is would fiber end up more a detrimental distraction than helpful backup option? It's not like I don't already ignore white dots and focus on the target, but fiber rods kinda glow so that adjusts the calculus a bit. And they're new to me, I haven't tried them so I'm a little leery of the concept.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Levian Theres no reason a 1911 side can't have a stock tall optic ready sight with a milled cut for an optic in front . I seen a kimber with a factory rear slide mount sight - tall - and red dot but length of the optics base can play into what works at all on a 1911- fusion included .

If you have little dot optic experience a 22lr upper for a 1911 like from nelson with a rail or a railed ruger MK4 to become natural with and a life time of fun plinking ,competition , hunting small game or critter control . Most relex optics have a rail mount base options .

But anyhow its your issues to work thru . I think fusions base is about the worst looking base for an optic I ever seen . Check out kimber optic ready pistols and ed brown for some cleaner looking idea's at least . Remember that some optics can be fine on a range for a match or fun gun but not as good an option for a carry optic .

Good luck

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hard to say without actually looking at the sight picture with the dot, put I would probably not like them to be the same colors.

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could just be me, but I think it's one of those things that looks God awful by it's lonesome, but isn't so bad when it's actually put onto a pistol:

Fusion Firearms - 1911 Optics HoloSun

Bonus that there's overhang, so with a file and a dream maybe it could be improved. Or it could become another $45 'learning experience' that gets tucked away in the sacrificial parts bin never again to be spoken of or see the light of day...Either of those things is a possibility. That front sight is a no-go though.

I will say that Ed Brown's version does look cleanest. If they made a slide that suited the build I have in mind I'd be all about that, but all I see available from them is a 5" Government model that's precut. I made the order for a Commander length slide. So we'll see how it all comes together I suppose.

Hard to say without actually looking at the sight picture with the dot, put I would probably not like them to be the same colors.
Good thought. I'll probably buy a variety pack of fiber rod so I can change things around and see what works. Already have the sharpies handy if all else fails.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I built an STI 2011 9mm Commander and mounted a Buriss Fastfire 3 red dot optic. I had to work on getting the optic mounted correctly so I could pick up the red dot fast, with a repeatable draw from the holster. I am using the gun with red dot optic in IDPA, and it has helped to improve my accuracy and zero down hits.......my 70 year old eyes need all the help I can get!

I could use it for concealed carry, and I am sure the optic would be a huge advantage in low light conditions, but I mostly carry an STI 2011 .38 super with iron sights. I have been drawing my STI 2011 pistols from the holster for years, and I have retained a great deal of muscle memory to index the gun and align the slide the same way each time which allows me to pick up the sights and shoot very quickly. I can pretty much draw and fire a COM hit from the holster by point shooting, and not using the sights at 5 yards or less.

If I did use my STI 2011 Commandeer with my red dot optic for concealed carry, I would simply leave the optic on at night. The battery life is very good for the Burris Fast Fire 3, and replacing a battery is easy since the battery can be removed from the top, and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Contact and ask EB about a slide ! better yet - ED BROWN 1911 GOVERNMENT SLIDE 45ACP SS WITH RMR CUT | Brownells

Trijicon or holosun base with front and rear night sights- CA428-C-600757 | Trijicon®

Some dot optics off a rear " sight " as part of the housing like a K series holosun and Shield dot optics and some like Leupold delta point pro have a rear sight option . For other than carry leave the sight off for a cleaner look . I touch of hesters paint on a clean surface can give you that rear sight color you might want .

I'm gone , good luck .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts