1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so I pick up my first handgun tonight a SW1911 model 108285. :) This only after it was lost by the USPS for 23 days. :scratch:

I have used 1911's before but this one has some odd attributes. I have not field stripped the gun yet but plan on doing so tommorrow evening so I can see if anything looks grossly misfit.

The first problem I'm having is that it takes a hurculean effort to use the slide release. I can rack the slide fine but if the slide release engages its damn near impossible to push down. I'm not a little guy either and this seems very wrong.

The other problem which may or may not be related to problem one is that the portion of the slide forward the dust cover has a even scratch/wear mark that seems to get worse when the slide is cycled.

I haven't heard about these problems before...am I just missing something here?

I'll add pics tommorrow...

· Registered
123 Posts
crab

When I bought my stainless sw1911 it too had some issues. One question tho, is the magazine removied when you are trying to use the slide release/stop? This is not exclusive to s&w 1911s. A lot of slide stops are very hard to depress if there is an empty mag in the gun, especially with the wilson 47Ds in there. As for the marks on the slide, it may be slightly out of spec. I know my frame was completely out of spec but smith replaced it and its good as new. I'd shoot it some and see if the wear marks get any worse, if it does just give sw a call, they have excellent customer service.

· Registered
702 Posts
The slide is rubbing on the dust cover and you should send it back to S&W for fitting and refinish. I have never had it happen on a S&W, but did on a Para. Mark the rub mark on the slide with a marker and cycle it a few times and you can see where it is rubbing on the dust cover if you take the slide off.

If the slide stop will not push down easily without a magazine in place that would need to be addressed also. I cannot push the slide stop down on my PC1911 with an empty Tripp magazine in place.

Hopefully UPS will not lose it this time.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
It's not too uncommon to have a 1911 with a bit of wear on 1 side or the other on the dustcover. I suppose you could send it back for refitting, but I wouldn't.

As for the other stuff, try shooting it first. You are saying you have a lemon, and you have yet to even shoot the gun...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone...sorry for the delay with any sort of report.

I've been putting 150 rounds a week through it, and after 450 rounds I haven't had one malfunction. I do clean it after every trip though...I've been using Wolf, although I did shoot 100 rounds of Ranger to see if it would feed and of course it did.

For my first gun I think I chose pretty well...that mark on the front of the slide didn't seem to have an effect on anything. The whole slide stop being real tight thing was just ignorance on my part, with something in the mags it releases with no drama.

I have been using a mixture of mags, MecGar and Wilson...haven't had any trouble there...about to get a bunch of Metalforms so I'll probably get rid of the MecGar mags...not real fond of the bumpers and the fact that they are not stainless...

So...all-in-all I am very pleased with the gun...and after my weekly range session tonight I'll get ya'll some dirty pics, lol.

· Registered
10 Posts
I experienced some of the things you described.

One being a rub mark after working the slide a few time so I lightly polished the area that may have had a bur. I also noticed that the slide release was a bit tight for me, but while using Wilson Combat mags at the range it seemed to get a little better.

I still believe that for the price and an out of the box 1911 it is a pretty decent piece of work.

Has anyone had any trigger work on their SW1911?

It doesn't bother me too much (I am not experiencing trigger torque), but it is a little heavier than my other 1911's.
Just wondering if anyone has bothered to lighten the trigger.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
crab:
thanks for the update on your gun. enjoy her.

ja atl:
yep, i had the trigger lightened on my S&W basic stainless and she is one incredibly accurate shooter with that lighter trigger factored in. i had her taken down to 3.5 lbs. and the trigger pull is now as smooth as it can be.:cool:

the work was done by a local smith who is a master at "fluff and buff" (he has done all my guns) and the cost was $35.00 for the work which also included a good look over and the smooothing out of any internal rough spots (almost none) on this gun. to date i have not had to have any of the trigger parts replaced on any of my 1911's as this guy does really fine work. if he did not get the trigger the way i wanted it with the "fluff" he would do the parts swap out to get them where i really like my triggers.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
8,302 Posts
ja atl:

the trigger was the only thing i changed on mine after i first got it. i then shot 1000's of rounds through it over the next few months.

after those months of shooting i decided to mod this one up and dropped in a Kart barrel and custom fit EGW bushing. as a defensive shooter using a modified weaver stance my close order slow fire five shot groups went from the size of a quarter to the size of a nickel and this showed up as well as i shot further out. she would consistantly hold a nice COM group with the original barrel at 12-15 yards out, but that group is now tighter.

i was very happy with the way she shot with the original barrel but just modded her up because she was such a nice platform from which to do so and i was in the mood.

rest of my 1911's are stock except for trigger jobs and a couple i added magwells to and one that i added night sights two.

enjoy that gun.

· Registered
10 Posts
mitrod3 said:
ja atl:
yep, i had the trigger lightened on my S&W basic stainless and she is one incredibly accurate shooter with that lighter trigger factored in. i had her taken down to 3.5 lbs. and the trigger pull is now as smooth as it can be.:cool:

the work was done by a local smith who is a master at "fluff and buff" (he has done all my guns) and the cost was $35.00 for the work which also included a good look over and the smooothing out of any internal rough spots (almost none) on this gun.
I checked my local shop and they gave me the website for the gunsmith that they use. His prices are:
$45 for very basic trigger work with a pull of 4.5 to 5 lbs.
$245 replace trigger and hammer with aftermarket parts with a a pull of 3 to 3.5 lbs.
$275 competition level trigger with a pull of 3 to 3.5 lbs.

I think I might wait or check around some more.

I don't think the stock trigger is much more than 5 lbs do you?
I know it is much lighter than my Glock, but it is slightly heavier than my other two 1911's that have about a 3 lb pull.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
sounds like you are on the track of a decent some good trigger work. good luck to you. any smoothing out of the parts (fluff and buff) should drop the current pull down a bit from where it is now. have you had a smith check the exact pull weight as it is now to get a base starting point in poundage on this gun?

when my smith checked the trigger on mine (and another S&W I bought) they came around 5 to 5 lbs.+ on each. this was above where I like my guns which is at around 3.5 lbs. he was able to get the one gun to 3.5 and other to 4- with just a fluff and buff which allows for really decent shooting with my old hands. they will also drop a bit more with use.

keep us posted on how it goes.

· Banned
55 Posts
I just got to shoot my stainless S&W 1911 yesterday:dope:
First i gotta say "Where these things been all my shooting life"? I don't think i ever shot a smoother more accurate auto right out of the box in my life!!
Now, i had the same feeling about the slide stop:rolleyes: Suckar is hard to release!! My first thought was EXTENDED SLIDE STOP - I asked a much wiser & more experianced 1911 shooter than me about this & what he said made alot of sense ( to me anyway )
He said " Partner, you said the slide STOP is hard to release?, Well, why do you think it's called a stop & not a release? Get into the habit of sling shoting the slide & your problem is solved & thats one less part that will wear out."
I tryed it & I like it:) So for me it's a ambi-safty, mag guide & a set of buffalo horn grips & i'm a happy camper:dope:
Hoss (who is now addicted to S&W 1911's) Fly:rofl:

· Registered
225 Posts
I agree that its definitely worthwhile to do a little trigger work on the SW1911. I'm not someone who ordinarily does a lot of tweaking to their guns, but to me a crappy trigger is unacceptable on any firearm. (Even my AK has had some trigger work done):)

On the SW1911, mine was one of the early ones, and I found the grip safety was also a little sticky/hard to disengage. Mine was subject to the recall, so when I sent it back to S&W I had them do what they called an "action job". Definitely improved both the trigger (I'd say its about 3.5-4 pounds now) and the safety problem). I think it cost about $80, but it's been a while so I could be off a little.

Of course there are lots of competent gunsmiths out there who could work miracles on your trigger.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Trigger

I mentioned it on another thread earlier But my S&W ST SS came home with me with a 4.5lbs pull and after a 1200 rounds smoothed out to 4lbs even. Guess I got lucky! I bet it would be really sweet with some minor smithing attention!:D

· Registered
114 Posts
Where are the pictures?!?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.