1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Series 80 Gold Cup .45 that is over 30 years old. Performs perfectly. What .22 lr conversion kit would you recommend for it?

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I'm using the gsg kit on 70 series frame. Inexpensive, and works great with a suppressor.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just bought a Nelson Custom.

I got it from a forum member here with three magazines. I chewed through 750 rounds the first weekend I had it. My only regret is not buying one sooner.

The Nelson's are slightly more expensive than some of the others but there are so many options. Red or green fiber optic or black sights, flat-top Weaver rail, threaded barrel, magazines to fit a single-stack or wide-body frame, different weight recoil springs to tune to ammo, last round hold-open.

To paraphrase Ferris Bueller; "If you have the means, I highly recommend them. They are so choice."

Since you have a Colt you could look for an old Colt original conversion. I thought I saw one for sale somewhere recently.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been mulling it over too. But I like my Buckmark so much, I can't really justify a conversion for my 1911s. It certainly won't be more accurate, gotta buy new mags, gotta fuss with changing slides (not hard), etc. I just whip out the Buckmark and fire away....the controls are almost identical to a 1911, so there's nothing new to learn/forget.

That said, .22 cal 1911s are kind of cool. Saw a cherry Ciener Platinum Cup available locally at $200. Almost jumped on it but for the reasons already mentioned. They seem to get fairly high marks though.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I've been mulling it over too. But I like my Buckmark so much, I can't really justify a conversion for my 1911s. It certainly won't be more accurate, gotta buy new mags, gotta fuss with changing slides (not hard), etc. I just whip out the Buckmark and fire away....the controls are almost identical to a 1911, so there's nothing new to learn/forget.

That said, .22 cal 1911s are kind of cool. Saw a cherry Ciener Platinum Cup available locally at $200. Almost jumped on it but for the reasons already mentioned. They seem to get fairly high marks though.
I was pretty satisfied with my 22/45s, particularly the one with rails top and bottom and a threaded barrel, until I saw a killer deal on the GSG kit @ JoeBob's. Came with three mags. Slide is lightweight, probably pot metal, but digests everything I've fed it, and it's plenty accurate.

I still love to shoot the 22/45s, but there's just something about shooting .22s over a pristine 70 Series GC frame! :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I vote for the Nelson. It will shoot circles around the Colt conversion, both accuracy and reliability wise. The Colt unit looks great and is the same weight as the original slide but it is more plinking accurate rather than match accurate. The Nelson unit is as accurate as any 22 auto I have shot and is 100% reliable ( so far, at least) with a variety of ammo, both HV and SV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
22 conversion

Seems to me it was 10yds with Rem golden bullets. I usually shoot targets at 10 and rotary ducks at 50ft. My Stoeger model 95 (HS Victor clone) is a touch more accurate but the Nelson is more accurate than any other 1911 conversion I have shot(Colt,Tactical Solutions,Kimber).

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Seems to me it was 10yds with Rem golden bullets. I usually shoot targets at 10 and rotary ducks at 50ft. My Stoeger model 95 (HS Victor clone) is a touch more accurate but the Nelson is more accurate than any other 1911 conversion I have shot(Colt,Tactical Solutions,Kimber).
Surely, you mean 10 yds, not feet? Hard to tell from the way the sentence is written, but I can't fathom anybody's shooting at 10'. :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Not my best, but about average. Shot during Rapid Fire (10 shots in 10 seconds) at 25 yards, standing unsupported with one arm/hand (NRA Conventional Pistol AKA Bullseye). \
Lower was a RO with a 4lb trigger with CCI SV. Since then its been reduced to 3.0 lbs since I have a dedicated lower.

The GSG/AA conversions are fine, but you have to sort through several to get a "winner" vice just buying a Nelson conversion and being good to go from the start. Larry is an absolute class act and backs his product. I've had to lean on Larry for support for last minute competition needs and he has always been there. I can't say enough. He's also an active Scout Master and just plain good guy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stopped by my LGS this morning and they had a used Colt conversion kit. It went together on my Series 80 Gold Cup and would have started "dickering" on it except, I couldn't pull the trigger. Then found where it said Series 70 on the kit.

This begs the question will a Kimber, Nelson, GSG, etc. fit a Series 80?

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Yes 10 yards
I thought that was it. You could have used a knife @ 10'!:eek: Somebody posted about the hit-and-miss of the GSG units. I guess I was lucky and got a hit on the first try. I really have no complaints.

·
Registered
23,180 Posts
The Colt Ace unit is more a collector thing. Here is one around a Gold Cup I have. You could have removed the Series 80 guts in the Gold Cup by the way. I forgot to put the special slide stop in the picture with the No. 2 on it so it holds the slide open. Not real accurate but they are fun to shoot.

I have a Marvel that is the most accurate one I own but here is a Kimber unit on a Kimber Target Elite II bottom. My cousin said you couldn't use one on gophers so I was showing him you could. As an old bullseye shooter this was one hand at about 20 yards. It was at his ranch.

And that unit with the parent gun. If I had that to do over again I would have bought a blued one and not a silver one.

I have been looking at the Advantage Arms units and they look interesting but I don't know if I need another one or not. I also have a couple Ciener units. Also some tops do not fit some bottoms so be sure you check before you buy.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've been kicking this around as well. Are the Nelson units only available from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have the Marvel,the low end one and it shoots great. It is so accurate! I can not imagine the higher end one, being anymore accurate. I use it on a Para SSP and a Les Baer P11. It does not hold open on last round, but I knew that going in, and you can use Kimber mags. I love it. It was sensitive with ammo at first, it just shot Fed. auto match but now shoots Rem. Golden and Thunderbolts. Wimpy

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I've been kicking this around as well. Are the Nelson units only available from the manufacturer?
I believe so. I've never seen one at a show or in any retail store.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I should have my Nelson conversion in hand this coming Thursday. It took a little over 2 weeks to ship from Nelson.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts