1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been wanting one of these babys for years now. The funds are almost there. Now what is the difference between a Nat. Match trigger and a standard trigger? Can a standard trigger be worked up to a NM? Or do I need to keep saving to get the loaded version? And what all does Springfield do to justify the $400-$600 difference between the base model and a NM? I almost went with a Garand, but I want a Mag. fed rifle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there:
To answer your question not much really. A NM trigger group has only been worked over. What I mean by that is that the hammer and sear has been prepped and the high edges have ben flattend out. also the pull has been reduced to between 4.75 and 6 pounds. with 4.75 being preferable. A NM M14 is one that has had the gas cyclinder floated and in the case of the M14 the front band permently attached to the cyclinder. Also the action is bedded to the stock and the barrel floated. The sights on a NM rifle are slightly different with the rear sight being the NM2A sight which is .05moa adjustable for elevation. also the width if the front sight is .062 NM M14's are extremely accurate service rifles and well worth the money if you are going to compete or target shoot alot. I build them and NM M1's for a lot of people. and I shoot them also. By all means buy the load NM M1A as you will probably save some cash as you will have to have all of the things done I just mentioned if you do not. But The SA loaded rifle still needs fine tuning. Stay low and shoot straight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Sharpshooter,

I'm also looking at an M1A, and I like the SA Super Match. Is the only difference between that and the NM the rear-lugged receiver?

Is it worth the extra $400-800 for the step up?

Also, do you have an opinion for or against the fiberglass stock vs. the walnut?

Thanks,

/TCP

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello again :
That is the main difference in the SA NM and Supermatch rifles. If I am not mistaken you can get the Supermatch with the McMillian Stock also .. As for the better stock I am very preferential to the synthetic stocks as they do not require bedding. Never wapr or swell never contract or crack. The perfect stock for a rifleman. As for the rear lugged reciever being what you need that is a call you have to make since a NM rifle will out perform you more than likely. You have to decide whether or not the extra rigidity of the spare lugs as benefical to you. If not save your self some cash and do not go the extra mile on the Supermatch.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
For starters, as a longtime M1A owner, let me start by saying that Sharpshooter's advice is right on the money here.

I think the "loaded" M1A offers the best combination of features at the most reasonable price point. If you buy one of the base rifles, you'll probably spent a lot more than $500 on separate upgrades, and there is no guarantee you'll be pleased with the work. You're risking a lot of aggravation and inconvenience down the road. With the "loaded" models, you know exactly what you are getting up front, and they seem to be set up quite well right out of the box.

Of course, I also agree with Sharpshooter in that a Supermatch is probably not worth the extra expense unless you are a regular at Camp Perry. Rear-lugged receivers are the Holy Grail of competition M1As, but you could probably shoot a standard NM rifle for a lifetime and never realize the difference. It's a competion thing, and unless you're planning on dropping a lot of money into competition equipment and training, this is money better put into ammunition.

Walnut or synthetic? I say walnut, and I already know that I am dead wrong. You simply can't beat a McMillan sythetic -- it's THE perfect rifle stock, bar none -- but, I'm a bit sentimental, and I just like walnut better for 100 reasons that probably don't hold any water at all.

One thing is certain, I dare say that nobody ever bought an upgraded M1A and walked away disappointed. They are the "rifleman's rifle."

Chuck

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Unless you're planning on shooting 600yards, buy the standard model and spend the difference on mags and ammo. The standard model is accurate enough for the average shooter.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sharpshooter & StormMaster,

Thanks tons for the advice. I laughed when I read Sharpshooter's post, because FOR SURE any of the M1A's will outperform ME

Although I'm a bit of a traditionalist myself, I think I've settled on the McMillan stock for all the reasons mentinoned. This rifle will be part of my collection for many years to come, after which my kids will get it, so it needs to LAST.

Thanks again!

/TCP

·
Registered
210 Posts
One thing I forgot, I tend to be kinda, well, anal when it comes to these things, and "why not buy the best?" is usually a question I ask shortly before I blow all my money on a nice gun and have to eat Top Ramen for a month to make it up.

I think I'll get the Super Match....why not?

/TCP

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth....New here to the 1911 Forum but not the M1A.

I read everything I could before I before, thought about what I wanted and would be using it for.....All said and done I opted for the Walnut Stocked Standard Grade. Why, it will get me 3 inch groups on a paper plate and that is a good battle field rifle group. It is lighter, more tolerant then the NM and Super Match.

It wil shoot anything...new just the NM ammo cause of the NM and SM chambers.

I figured if I was buying a Battle Rifle that was what I wanted....I have a Tactical Rifle for my Sub MOA days.

I cleaned the triger up lightly, bought mags and ammo, added a Smith mount and a 500 yard BDC ATN 5x33L....It just works for me.

Now justify why I bought a TRP Operator over a regular 45 ACP

Karsten

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Sharpshooter
Hi

Sorry Im under the impression the bedded M1A rifles are set up Like the AMU rifles, they bed them with a spacer set up, when they put the gun back together the forend pulls, or loads the barrel down? You mention floated
barrels?? My impression is the rear lug receiver is set up to allow more pressure for sling use. not heard of the floated gas cylnder either. soilder the shield, ream the flash surpressor and so fourth sure.
Lastly the glass stocks would be the way to go agreed, but people are using them on match rifles and not bedding them??

thanks
geo ><>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there George.
The Gas Cyclinder on an M14 is reamed on the rear ring to effectively clear the barrel except from the mounting points. you are correct about there being spacers. As for the barrel you are slinging up on the stock forearm not the barrel. THe up or down pressure you are talking about is used from time to time to correct point of impact or to tune the barrel. however floating is used. I may have been to broad in my explanition but the is the cse i assure you. I can also say that you are correct about the flash hider. One of the goals of match accuarizing the M1/M14 rifles is to isolate the barrel from contact so that it may vibrate freely. hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts