1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy reloading for my .22-250, which i've done off and on for about 10 years now. I can make some wickedly accurate varmint loads for my stock savage rifle. Anyways, lately i've purchased a couple handguns and i think i would benefit from a progressive press. I have most of the basic equipment, i really just need a progressive press and the hardware needed.

I think i've decided on a Hornady LNL AP. Yes, i know, get a Dillon. My father is a Dillon man, owning a 550 and 650... But i've searched alot of threads, read the reviews, and right now i want to give the hornady a shot. Anyways, i'd like to load for 45LC, 45ACP, 9mm, and 223. I'm going to buy the shellplates for each, extra die bushings, and Lee 4 die sets for the handguns and 3 die set for the 223. This is roughly $250+ at midway, not counting the press.

I just want to confirm that Lee dies should work fine on the LNL and is there anything else other than shellplate and dies i need to get in order to start loading?? other than compents, and basic reloading equip, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I also have the same question. I have heard the Lee dies were top notch, but was wondering about the fitting.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Hornady LNL

I do not own a Hornady LNL, so I can't help about the dies. I noticed you will be switching back and forth between large and small primer assemblies. Make sure the Hornady comes with both. I understand it is a very good machine.....Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I just set up for 9mm and .45acp with a new LnL. I'm a complete beginner and could only be happier if I could remember to push at the end of each cycle to seat the primer!:biglaugh:

I bought 9mm Hornady dies and .45acp Lee dies. I don't see much difference, once you add the lee fcd to the hornady set and get the free 100 bullets its about the same price as the 4 die lee set. Either work well.

The LnL comes with large and small primer set ups.

To change back and forth is 10min to switch plate, primer feed, and adjust powder station.

I'm very happy so far. Even broke my large primer seating assy, and got a replacement for free from Hornady. The only bad part was 25min on the phone on hold.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My father is a Dillon man, owning a 550 and 650QUOTE]

With that being said: How far does he live from you? It would be cheaper to get a toolhead with powder measure and dies and use his machine.
Over an hour away, one way. I've done that for quite a while until it got to be such a PIA i decided i needed my own setup. Although i must say his setup is much better.. Alot more room and pretty has everything you'd ever want or need and then some.. But that's after a lifetime of reloading and shooting....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just set up for 9mm and .45acp with a new LnL. I'm a complete beginner and could only be happier if I could remember to push at the end of each cycle to seat the primer!:biglaugh:

I bought 9mm Hornady dies and .45acp Lee dies. I don't see much difference, once you add the lee fcd to the hornady set and get the free 100 bullets its about the same price as the 4 die lee set. Either work well.

The LnL comes with large and small primer set ups.

To change back and forth is 10min to switch plate, primer feed, and adjust powder station.

I'm very happy so far. Even broke my large primer seating assy, and got a replacement for free from Hornady. The only bad part was 25min on the phone on hold.
Thanks JDSig, sounds like the Lee dies are good to go. I've never used lee before, the only dies i've used in the past are redding for my .22-250 and wilson for the 6br. The lee's had great reviews on midway, were cheap, and since i'm buying like 4 different die sets i figured it help save some money....

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
If you have used a Dillon before and are confortable with them, why are you wanting to change? Seriously. The LNL is a pretty good machine, but you cry once when you write the check for the Dillon.

I learned my lesson long ago when I bought a RCBS Ammomaster progressive. Luckily I didnt let my temper get the best of me and I ended up keeping it. Now I use it to load 50 BMG.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have always used RCBS dies in the past with a few of the other guys dies thrown in.
I started using the Lee 4 die deluxe sets starting with the 357 then the 9mm and now the 45 acp.

I REALLY LIKE THEM..!!
I like the Lee FCD the best...Not too happy about all the aluminum on them, but they seem to work well..!!

Can't tell you about working with the LnL press...But it should..??

Don2

·
Registered
592 Posts
Over an hour away, one way. I've done that for quite a while until it got to be such a PIA i decided i needed my own setup. Although i must say his setup is much better.. Alot more room and pretty has everything you'd ever want or need and then some.. But that's after a lifetime of reloading and shooting....
I hear ya. Used a friend's 650XL for a while..same thing. PIA driving all the time. Ran across a used setep...now I'm happily reloading 45 acp and .223 in the comfort of my own home.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I do like the Die locking rings on the Hornady dies though. I think you can buy them separately. I'll probably add those to my lee dies.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Roger what JDSig says about the Hornady LNL press. I have one that I purchased earlier this year. Changing calibers and primer sizes is easy and quick. I use both Lee and Hornady dies in my press without any problems.

I rate Hornady customer service and the LNL press a 10. :rock:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bought the Hornady LnL. I'm very happy with it and the hornady dies. I cant really see how they can sell quality equipment like this and still give the free bullets they do. The cost of the hornady dies are probably cheaper than Lee if you count the bullets and the quality cant be beat. The LnL has a lot of features I like. from the Die bushings for quick caliber changes to the half indexing on the up and down stroke, grease fittings on the ram and hinge pins, the powder feed is unbeleavably accurate (comes with high and low volume inserts) and is micro adjustable, it primes on the upstroke and thats the only action taking place there so you can actually feel each primer seating, it has 5 stations instead of the 4 and the spring shell holder and EZ-ject system works flawlessly not to mention its easy to pull the shell from any of the five stations should you need to do so. I've heard the springs do break on occasion but it hasn't happened to me yet but and as cheap as they are and as easy as they are to change, I dont see it as a problem.
I've been so impressed with Hornady quality that I have bought several more items from Hornady lately and I haven't been dissappointed with any of it yet. :rock:
But yes the lee dies should work fine, I dont have any experience with lee but I know of others who use them on this press. Oh, my hornady dies came with the locking rings so no need to order extra if you buy their dies. The AP press come with 5 bushings also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts