1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I found this site. I got a guy coming over on Saturday with a gun he wants to sell. He dosn't know to much about the gun other than it's a colt .45 Says it shoots OK but looks kinda rough. I plan on stripping it down and looking it over pretty good. Was wondering what I should look for and what I should or shouldn't pay. I know it is hard to make a decision without seeing the gun but do your best. Think I can pick it up for around 200.00. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Cant tell you what you should or shouldn't pay with out know what type, condition, etc etc. There are a few good websites out there that tell you. Check out www.sightm1911.com and one of the fine members here runs a site with an excellent list with pictures what what to check. Unfortunately I can't remember it. Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Jessz1...
If the owner says the gun shoots OK, ask the owner if you and he could go out for a shoot. If it shoots and functions well and has all the parts and isn't a rust bucket, the parts alone are worth more than $200. Get the serial number with a description of the Colt posted and you will get lots of feedback from the troops here.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well, if you don't know the workings of a 1911, it would be pretty hard to tell if the weapon was functioning correctly. Having said that, it would have to be a real POS for me to pass it up at even $300!

Look for general signs of heavy wear. If the owner didn't take care to keep it relatively free of scratches and dings, I would shy away from it as he more than likely didn't maintain it like he should have.

If the barrel locks up tight at the muzzle and chamber, has a clean rust-free bore, and good crown, I'd take it.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sitting at work reading the new copy of "the complete book of the combat 1911" I just picked up and it has a section on "What to Look for in a used 1911". May be worth picking up to look at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts