1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow shooters. :) im thinking of buying an open sti custom build gun.. Any inputs please for the owners of an open gun.. I have a standard .40 sti eagle based pistol. Also custom build but i want to add to my collection a open guns. Any advise please.. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
You can get all the info you need on brianenos.com You might also want to check with Pedro Ortiz at ortizcustongunsllc.com He is coming to the Philippines to shoot.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Custom Open Gun

Since you reside in the Philippines, I would think about the caliber choice first.
I personally prefer the .38 super since there are more powder options for reloading. However, if it is hard to get .38 super brass, then the 9mm may be best for your needs.

I would definitely prefer using an STI Tru Bore barrel since the barrel and comp are machined as one unit.....screw on comps to threaded barrels work, but there is always the chance of excessive barrel heating loosening the comp.

I am not sure about shipping guns out of the country, but I am sure you know the laws.....it would be great to find a good used Open gun from someone getting out of shooting. Since the new Open "race ready" guns from STI are upwards of $2500 and more add at least another $1000 or so for a custom build.

I had a custom Open gun built using the W/N ramped STI frame in the mid 19990's. I used a Schuemann Hybrid barrel with triple port comp, C-more railway, etc., and the gun with four SV magazines was $3,500. If it was built today, I'm thinking it would about $4,500..... the gun was built by Wayne Berquist and has held up extremely well for accuracy and I have fired a large volume of ammo of "major" power factor ammo through the gun. It still shoots great!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The story was this, a father build a open gun for his son.. Sti short dust frame, sti internals and C-more serendipity.. Then eventually his son didn't like open guns and then quit shooting. As for the father, he liked old school gun. (1911 .45). So he is selling now the newly custom open .38 super (race ready & we already zero the red dot @ my range which is metroarms) for $3,720.. I said i dont have the money right now because i just finished building my .40 STI Standard pistol and cost me about $4,000 after the upgrades and it was done by metrillo customs. No regrets for me because it was flawless. 1.8lbs trigger & tungsten sleeved KKM barrel. So the father even agreed if i pay in terms 0% interest. What do you guys think, will i get the open gun? Thanks for the replies. Happy holidays! :) cheers

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Open gun

You have not provided enough details about the gun to allow us to determine if it is a good value or not......

We have no idea of the parts used to make the gun other than the frame and the C-more scope, and we have no idea who made the gun.....was it built by a highly skilled gunsmith that specializes in Open guns....? Does the gun come with any magazines?

A new STI GrandMaster Open gun retails new in the US for $3,700. However, perhaps the fair market value of a used STI Open div. gun in the Philippines is more expensive..... I don't even know if you can purchase a gun from the US and ship it to the Philippines.....

Since the seller is willing to work with you, I would load up about 300 rounds and spend some time at the range doing various drills to see how well the gun functions. If it functions fine, you will have to determine if it is a good value.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts