1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new gun and i am thinking of a colt defender,what do u guys think of this gun compared to a KIMBER are SPRINGFIELD similar to it.
How is the reliabily,accuracy,etc of this gun

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by jdeca:
I am looking for a new gun and i am thinking of a colt defender,what do u guys think of this gun compared to a KIMBER are SPRINGFIELD similar to it.
How is the reliabily,accuracy,etc of this gun
They're nice guns... Depends on the price. They are as reliable, and accurate as any of the others.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A friend of mine ran a pawn shop and carried a Lightweight Officer's Model daily for years. I think that's pretty comparable to the Defender.

He ran a few thousand rounds through it and never reported a jam. He normally carried Glaser's in it. He reported the accuracy to be pretty close to a FS model.

It says Colt, it's probably a good choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm carrying a Defender off duty. I've put about 500 rds. through it, about 200 rds. were HydraShoks. No jams or other problems so far. It's probably as accurate as my duty gun (Combat Target) but not as easy to shoot because of the shorter sight radius and lighter weight. I didn't like the grips so I replaced them with a set of Mckormick thin grips.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love my Defender. It shoots well and I have not had any problems with it. It's size makes it easy to conceal.

-JHG-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok another question would it be hard for me to get a brand new one,and if i could what price range should i look for.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are new Defenders out there, but you may have to do a little looking. Pricing seems to really vary. Locally I have seen them NIB for anywhere from 650 - 780. You may be able to have your local dealer find you one at a distributor. I purchased mine locally about 1.5 years ago for 590. Good Luck in your search!

-JHG-

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
We just got four new Defenders in this last week. Suggested retail is $773.

My wife and I both have Defenders - and we like them a lot. I would not hesitate to recommend it head to head with any other manufacturer's gun. As a CCW weapon, the Series 80 firing pin block can be comforting over a Kimber or a Springfield, who lack this feature.

Fit and finish on the new Colts we have recieved in the last year and a half has been very nice, particularly impressive barrel/slide fit.

Good luck in your quest - if you can't find a new Colt you want locally, check back with me. If I don't have one, I may know a dealer who does. The Legend Lives! Col. Colt

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Defender has run 100% and is more accurate than any 3" barrelled auto should be. BTW, my favorite gunshop had one in the case today and they were asking $886 for it. They are normally about the best deal in town on prices and customer service so I would guess that here in Kentucky a Defender will set you back a good bit of money. I paid $575 for mine in 1998.

[This message has been edited by lewis (edited 02-01-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is a .40 Defender NIB here in town for $595.00. I'll give you his # if interested. Also, it has the Colt Competition parts on it.

[This message has been edited by Shootin' Shane (edited 01-17-2001).]

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think www.fsguns.com has one in the safe. Its a stainless one - the reason I mention it, is were in MA. The gun can't be legally sold in this state. If your intrested give Carl a call - he may still have it.

It was in very good shape.
Anthony

·
Registered
168 Posts
Col.Colt I am interested in a Special Combat Government. Are they manufactured currently, do you have or can you get one? And what is the price?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Originally posted by 225ACP:
Col.Colt I am interested in a Special Combat Government. Are they manufactured currently, do you have or can you get one? And what is the price?
Will check and advise - we are working up a Colt order that we will be placing next week. The guns are in the 2001 Colt Price List as a Custom Shop gun, like the Gold Cup. Suggested List for a Special Combat Government is $1640.00, which is pretty reasonable for a fully tricked out Colt Custom Shop Combat pistol, in my opinion. Class and function! We have gotten three Gold Cups in the last month - and all three were beautiful. Will be in touch. Col. Colt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts