1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like 45's. I can shoot them better than any other caliber I have.
I saw a Kimber Stainless II online. The owner wanted to trade it for (among other guns) a blued Sig P226. I happen to have a Sig P226 in 40 S&W that's rarely carried, so I contacted him. He replied back that he's "VERY" interested. We're now discussing whether to meet in person or do the FFL thing.
Anyhow, is a Stainless II a decent weapon? Would I be getting the better end of the deal assuming there's nothing wrong with his? Anything I should look for when examining the gun? I know Sigs are easier to breakdown than 1911's, but is there anything to look for inside if it is broken down?
Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
Kimber SIS 5"; Guncrafter Industries railed 5"; Doublestar railed 5"
615 Posts
For Post_2's question, it's a 5" model, aka known as "Government" or in Kimber's terminology, "Custom".

Kimber doesn't exactly even have a "Commander" 4.25" size, but has 4" models (which Kimber refers to as "Pro" models).

·
Registered
95 Posts
To determine what kind of trade you are making I would go on Gun Broker and get an idea as to what both guns are go for there. Also you can go on You Tube and check out some videos on what to look for in used autos.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go for it. You have a .40 you don't shoot and the opportunity to pick up a .45 which you obviously want. I love my Kimber 1911.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a Sig P239 that has a 9, 40, & 357 Sig barrels.
I figure there's not that much difference in weight or size when it comes to carrying a P226 and a 1911.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Man, don't take this the wrong way, I love my Kimbers. No way would I trade a sig226 for a standard grade 1911, I'd save up and buy the Kimber but I wouldn't turn loose of that sig. Sig makes a fine pistol. My nightstand has a P229 in it, that should tell you something.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Man, don't take this the wrong way, I love my Kimbers. No way would I trade a sig226 for a standard grade 1911, I'd save up and buy the Kimber but I wouldn't turn loose of that sig. Sig makes a fine pistol. My nightstand has a P229 in it, that should tell you something.
Precisely, not to trade one of the very best autos for a lower tier production line 1911. Sounds like you are new to 1911s, go out, look, feel, handle, maybe even rent/shoot a few more. 1911s come in a wide variety of flavors and likely your taste is going to change quickly and a desire to trade up will lurch around the corner.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Please, Kimbers are not lower tier production 1911's! They are well made in fit, finish and function and Q/C is excellent!

I just did a quick scan of the internet gun sellers. The pricing is about the same for both in similar used condition.

If you aren't shooting the Sig and you are looking for a nice general purpose 1911, go for it! You won't be disappointed. :)

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
We're now discussing whether to meet in person or do the FFL thing.
I would definitely want to do a trade in person. You can still use an FFL for the transfer but get a look at his gun and him yours. That way there's no follow up issues.

Please, Kimbers are not lower tier production 1911's! They are well made in fit, finish and function and Q/C is excellent!
Ditto.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a stainless Kimber, they are solid 1911's. But I wouldn't give up a 226 in 40 for one which IMHO is the best of that class (DA/SA) guns out there, I assume you meant nitron not blued? I'd just buy the Kimber and that model isn't that expensive.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A decent shape sig 226 in 40 is worth close to $500. A used stainless kimber is worth about $250- $300.

You say, "how can that be?" Well, all you had to do is take a look at Palmetto State Armory when they were having their Kimber sale. A brand new Stainless II was $579, brand new.

It's amzing to my that folks will buy a Kimber Raptor/Warrior/Etc and spend over $1000 when it is just a cerakoted Stainless II.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
"A used stainless kimber is worth about $250- $300."

Show a "for sale" listing similar to the Kimber in Post #2 for any where near $300!

I'll wait right here!

Smiles,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
"A used stainless kimber is worth about $250- $300."

Show a "for sale" listing similar to the Kimber in Post #2 for any where near $300!

I'll wait right here!

Smiles,
Ditto!

There's nothing wrong with a stainless Kimber, they are solid 1911's. But I wouldn't give up a 226 in 40 for one which IMHO is the best of that class (DA/SA) guns out there, I assume you meant nitron not blued? I'd just buy the Kimber and that model isn't that expensive.
My Sig is blued. The Kimber is stainless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For that price I'd be in for a few of them. Where are these deals?
I was browsing through Armslist looking for a 1911. I ran across this Kimber that was offered for sale or trade. One of the guns he wanted to trade for was a blued P226. I messaged him and sent him a description of the gun and extras. He messaged back that he was "very" interested and wanted pics. I sent him a few and now are trying to work out the trade arrangement...that is if I decide to do it. It seems that people here value a $500 Sig over a stainless Kimber.
I dunno.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I was browsing through Armslist looking for a 1911. I ran across this Kimber that was offered for sale or trade. One of the guns he wanted to trade for was a blued P226. I messaged him and sent him a description of the gun and extras. He messaged back that he was "very" interested and wanted pics. I sent him a few and now are trying to work out the trade arrangement...that is if I decide to do it. It seems that people here value a $500 Sig over a stainless Kimber.
I dunno.
Neither firearm is rare, unusual or extremely sought after.

If you aren't shooting the Sig, go for it! I've done similar trades, in fact I traded a Sig 639 for a S/A RO! a few years later bought a 4"Kimber 9mm that suits my needs better than the 639. Oh, and the 1911 magazines are plentiful!

Smiles,

20181213_200351.jpg

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
OP, if you are not enamored of the P226 and the 40 SW round, trade it. I know I am not interested in any Sig P series of guns nor am I a fan of the 40 SW.

Just make sure his Kimber is not the older external extractor type.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, if you are not enamored of the P226 and the 40 SW round, trade it. I know I am not interested in any Sig P series of guns nor am I a fan of the 40 SW.

Just make sure his Kimber is not the older external extractor type.
I have a Sig with an external extractor. Would the Kimber resemble that?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I have a Sig with an external extractor. Would the Kimber resemble that?
I think so. I am a Kimber fan, but I always advise people that if they can, avoid the external extractor Kimbers. You don't see much of those anymore. Still, a few could be floating around.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts