1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a smoke nitride finish that caught my eye. And I'd like to change the grips and maybe the trigger. Definitely the sights. My question is, who do I go to? I've never sent a gun off for custom work.

Do you think refinishing will fix whatever happened to and around the slide stop?

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would send it off to Evolution Armory or Nighthawk Custom, but be prepared for a pretty good wait.

The slide stop pin hole looks like the finish just chipped off, so what ever you refinish it will correct it.

Personal opinion, I would shoot the crap out of it first, then decide what you don’t like and go from there.

Hope this helps, Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leslie Chow

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would send it off to Evolution Armory or Nighthawk Custom, but be prepared for a pretty good wait.

The slide stop pin hole looks like the finish just chipped off, so what ever you refinish it will correct it.

Personal opinion, I would shoot the crap out of it first, then decide what you don’t like and go from there.

Hope this helps, Ray

What's a pretty good wait?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I got my Colt back from Nighthawk about 6 weeks ago. I was so taken with the smoked nitride finish on my Nighthawk Thunder Ranch, I sent them a Colt Competition Series .38 Super. They had it 5-6 months in which time, they checkered the front strap, did a trigger job, installed a ring hammer and did the refinish. Prior to that, I had sent the slide to Novak for new sight. They have a quick turnaround of about 7-10 days. Don't know who they use but Nighthawk sends the gun out for the smoked nitride. Not good at posting photos but can send by email if you PM me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my Colt back from Nighthawk about 6 weeks ago. I was so taken with the smoked nitride finish on my Nighthawk Thunder Ranch, I sent them a Colt Competition Series .38 Super. They had it 5-6 months in which time, they checkered the front strap, did a trigger job, installed a ring hammer and did the refinish. Prior to that, I had sent the slide to Novak for new sight. They have a quick turnaround of about 7-10 days. Don't know who they use but Nighthawk sends the gun out for the smoked nitride. Not good at posting photos but can send by email if you PM me.
7-10 days? That sounds good. Smoked nitride really does look beautiful

·
Registered
223 Posts
Both NH and Wilson are good options unless you wa t to send it to a individual smith, agreed that you should be prepared for at least a few month wait but you have other guns right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
452 Posts
What's a pretty good wait?
Nighthawk is quoting 12-18 months on new builds, that’s why I’m saying prepare for a pretty good wait.

You will have to talk directly with Dave and ask him what his times are running.

[mention]EvolutionArmory [/mention]

-Ray

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
my opinion..... if you make the changes and decide you want something else down the road and will try to sell the Pro,

dont expect to get "going" pricing or attempt to recoop the customizing dollars back.

I am not trying to deter you from your wants..... just want to inform the potentials.

Also, when shooting/holstering/handling a gun.... expect wear. I agree with the above..... shoot the hell out of it first before you pull the plug on the refinish.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
You gotta be careful when doing custom work on some of these factory custom shop guns. I’m putting together a Springfield Custom Shop build that I did Ionbond work on and the rear sight has a ton of gap now.

Once you crack off that loctite….
Loctite is the only thing keeping the rear sight from shooting off into space on a lot of guns.

Modding a Pro might not be a good idea. If there are things you don’t like about it, sell it and commission a build from someone and have them build it the way you want.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You gotta be careful when doing custom work on some of these factory custom shop guns. I’m putting together a Springfield Custom Shop build that I did Ionbond work on and the rear sight has a ton of gap now.

Once you crack off that loctite….
Loctite is the only thing keeping the rear sight from shooting off into space on a lot of guns.

Modding a Pro might not be a good idea. If there are things you don’t like about it, sell it and commission a build from someone and have them build it the way you want.
I live in California. Don't have many options. I've seen ppl put 10-8 sights or some other sight on Pros. I didn't know it was that big of a headache to work on. What about getting it refinished? It's a used gun. Do you recommend against that?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
It took me over an hour of fitting to put this 10-8 rear on this 2005 year model MCOP. it went on tight.

A couple of swipes on this year 2008 MCOP and the rear sight went on. I bought this gun used.... a new front sight would slide on and out with no friction. I sent it to Dawson for a fiber optic front and said either me or someone opened up the front sight dovetail as it was too big. I told them it was not me and believed it came that way from the factory as I bought the gun used with 200 rounds thru it on 2008 and it had the factory Springer night sights. Dawson fitted the F/O and it will stay that way.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
I live in California. Don't have many options.
I was going to say that a Professional has enough cachet that you could sell it and start over to get what you really want, but in California you have to work with what you are allowed.

Dawson fitted the F/O and it will stay that way.
I didn't know Dawson installed sights. Hmmm.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
My main point about the Pro was that they have a bit of a following and messing with one could screw up any value it has. The other point was when customizing an already custom gun, the smith working on it can run into issues that you might not know are there so be prepared for that. Now I gotta sell my customer a new sight he wasn’t prepared to have to buy or send it back to him with a whole bunch of loctite on it, like I got it from him.

Being in California does make your options much smaller so maybe it isn’t a bad idea.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to say that a Professional has enough cachet that you could sell it and start over to get what you really want, but in California you have to work with what you are allowed.

I didn't know Dawson installed sights. Hmmm.
My main point about the Pro was that they have a bit of a following and messing with one could screw up any value it has. The other point was when customizing an already custom gun, the smith working on it can run into issues that you might not know are there so be prepared for that. Now I gotta sell my customer a new sight he wasn’t prepared to have to buy or send it back to him with a whole bunch of loctite on it, like I got it from him.

Being in California does make your options much smaller so maybe it isn’t a bad idea.

I hate front cocking serrations and love magwells. So the Pro was the only 1911 I could get in that configuration. Maybe a Baer. But I saw this Prongor 2250(no sales tax), and just jumped on it. The only issue it has is the finish by the slide stop. Thing is buttery smooth. Had a few FTFs when using slide stop release, but I think the gun was dirty and the mags that came with it were stiff.

I love Nighthawk's sight options. And would consider getting it refinished in DLC or Smoked Nitride. If I had to sell it. Someone in California will jump on it. I wouldn't change too much about it.

But 3months wait. In the age of covid and pandemics, I'm even less patiant than I was before. A lot can happen in 3 months:confused:

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I hate front cocking serrations and love magwells. So the Pro was the only 1911 I could get in that configuration. Maybe a Baer. But I saw this Prongor 2250(no sales tax), and just jumped on it. The only issue it has is the finish by the slide stop. Thing is buttery smooth. Had a few FTFs when using slide stop release, but I think the gun was dirty and the mags that came with it were stiff.

I love Nighthawk's sight options. And would consider getting it refinished in DLC or Smoked Nitride. If I had to sell it. Someone in California will jump on it. I wouldn't change too much about it.

But 3months wait. In the age of covid and pandemics, I'm even less patiant than I was before. A lot can happen in 3 months:confused:
I tell this to suppressor customers who don’t want to wait all the time. If you never submit your paperwork, you’ll never be one day closer to getting it.

Waiting for custom work comes with the territory.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hope this helps, Ray

After only 50 rnds, I know I hate the 3 dot sights. Definitely need a blacked out rear. And some form of tritium front sight. I actually like how black t wears over time. Smoke nitride seems like kids paying a lot of money to look homeless with their fashion choices. Its basically just gives your pistol a worn look. Like stonewashed jeans with holes in them.

I think I would keep the black t, but I do want the chip fixed eventually. Looks like the 1st owner may have used something to take the slide stop out. Its no reason it should look like that for a gun with less than 1000 rnds through it.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
the MCOP on the left is mine. It has a 10-8 rear and F/O front.

the MCOP on the right is duty issue and it has the factory 3 dot night sights (n)

not a fan of 3 dot sights.

I got it approved for a 10-8 rear and painted my front sight.

While I would prefer a F/O front.... this is the next best thing.... especially on a gun that my hands are tied with.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts