1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the defender come in an all steel version AND a lightweight version??? Are there any other versions that were made that are not anymore???

Thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
344 Posts
To my knowledge there has been only a light weight verson. If there are any variations, I have not run into them at local shops or large gun shows.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found that out too... This dealer said there is only one defender and one version of this model, so there is only one choice...

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by Seppeku:
I just found that out too... This dealer said there is only one defender and one version of this model, so there is only one choice...
Not quite....Kimosabee....There was the XS Defender and there is the current Defender. The biggest difference is the upswept beavertail on the XS vs. the downswept beavertail on the current production. Also, the thumb safety is extended on the XS vs. short on the current Defender.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for clearing that up... I thought the guys talking about the XS Defender were talking about the same gun as the current Defender.

So, I assume the XS Defender is not being made anymore???

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by Seppeku:
Thank you for clearing that up... I thought the guys talking about the XS Defender were talking about the same gun as the current Defender.

So, I assume the XS Defender is not being made anymore???
You're right. The XS Defender is not being made at this time. However, if you can live with the different configuration of the grip safety and the standard thumb safety, you still will have a very fine handgun with the current production models.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm not a fan of Colt's enhanced drop-in grip safety, but you can buy a drop in grip safety for a Commander and it should fit easy.

The sights are also different, the original (really pre-XS) Defender's had large novak looking (but, uglier) sights.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Everyone

One thing that should be brought up is that the Defender (all variations) has always been made with an aluminium frame. If Seppeku wants a steel frame (blue or stainless) then the 1991 Compact, or Officers Model must be considered. Though these have a slightly longer slide and a busing/bull barrel combination vice the bull barrel mated to the slide as in the Defender.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
one other difference I would like to point out is that the XS Defender's barrel is much more throated than the XSE model. Also, the new model would be a better choice if you wanted to change sights. I am not sure that anyone makes any type of replacement sights that would fit the double cut rear sight. If you are not changing sights, then either will do the job.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

[This message has been edited by UdontnoME (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah, sight options are more for the current one, though most involve cutting the slide.

Ashley makes sights for the older XS style sight cut, and I'll most likely end up with those.

Trijicon makes a set also, but they're identical to the current ones (with night sights ofc) and I'd like something not so tall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well gentlemen, just purchased my brand new Defender for $599... Did I get a good price??? I hope so...

Also purchased 2 Wilson 7-rd mags and some rosewood checkered grips and a Videki trigger...

What other mods should be done before I carry this gun... Opinions??? I'm thinking of Wilson combat sights and extended slide release and extended thumb safety...

What does everyone think???

Thanks for all the help...

Steve

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
congrats! actually, all you need to do is go test drive it first. If it runs out good you do not HAVE to do anything to it. Anything else would be for your personal tastes.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Colt has used plastic trigger's for a while. They drilled 3 holes in the Defender's trigger to make it look more custom, thats all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts