·
Registered
2,277 Posts
100 different sku's o_O

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
So where does it go?

None of our four main distributors ever have a single box of any CCI, never mind a brick or case. In the last several months the only .22LR we have been able to get from our distributors is Fiocchi.

🤔

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Administrator
74,006 Posts
All ammo manufacturers are operating at 30% above normal capacity. Despite that ammo is still as rare as hens teeth in most places. It just goes to show just how much is being bought up every single day. Between the panicked preppers and the scalpers there's nothing left for the people who just want to buy a box or two and go to the range.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
So where does it go?

None of our four main distributors ever have a single box of any CCI, never mind a brick or case. In the last several months the only .22LR we have been able to get from our distributors is Fiocchi.

🤔
105 MILLION gun owners(many have rimfire toys). even if most buy only 1000 rounds--it adds up and vanishes quickly

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I was at a local Walmart the other day. They had gotten in some CCI rimfire ammo.

500 rounds of CB caps, 200 rounds of Stingers, 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags.

Four millions rounds a day sounds like a lot of ammo. Call it 120 million per month. There are ~4756 Walmart stores in the US. This means five cases per month per Walmart. Or less than one half round per person per month in the US. Total production would be less than 4.5 rounds per person per year.

Even if we just take the gun owners it's only about 15 rounds per a year.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Our local gun store/ indoor gun range has 22 rimfire ammo but they are selling it a $20 a box of 50. Some better rounds are $25 to $30 a box of 50 too. 22 mags were $50 to $60 a box even. I was disappointed of course, but if you really wanted to shoot on their range they had some ammo, if you had deep pockets for it. I have seen the scalpers waiting at the big box stores on certain days when they are getting ammo in to sell. The scalpers pretty much grab the stuff before it even makes it to the shelves. Fortunately I wound up with a pretty decent supply before the panic hit. So I didn't have a desire to pay outrageous prices for the stuff.

I remember in the previous panic when ammo was in short supply too. But the .17 rimfire ammo was still in stock on the shelves most everywhere. So I could shoot my rifle or pistol as I could get .17 ammo easily. But not in the current panic, it is pretty much non-existent at present.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I was at a local Walmart the other day. They had gotten in some CCI rimfire ammo.

500 rounds of CB caps, 200 rounds of Stingers, 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags.

Four millions rounds a day sounds like a lot of ammo. Call it 120 million per month. There are ~4756 Walmart stores in the US. This means five cases per month per Walmart. Or less than one half round per person per month in the US. Total production would be less than 4.5 rounds per person per year.

Even if we just take the gun owners it's only about 15 rounds per a year.
I did the math and came up with identical numbers. Im not sure how the big stores get their ammo. Maybe direct from manufacturer or secret contracts. Who knows.

On a positive note, I was digging around in the store room and found a lonesome box of 300 CCI mini mags and the boss said I could have it for $15.00. Im playing the lottery tonight. Lol

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I think everyone who waits in line for ammo (at all the stores) buys .22 in addition to whatever else comes out.... just because it's availible and cheap by comparison. That's probably a couple hundred thousand people a day, if you extrapolate the 100 or so at my local academy per day times thousands of retailers across the country.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm getting old and forgetful, I guess. At the beginning of March I was able to purchase a new Taurus TX-22 Competition. Thought I had plenty of ammo for a while. Enough to at least get my Red Dot zeroed in, play around with it for a day or two, then do the last round of a rim fire steel plate league I was in. Gun came in and wow that thing is just so fun I just kept shooting and shooting. Looked and saw only 50 rounds left. :( Found a deal with PSA for .18¢ a round so ordered only 600. Week and a half goes buy and found another deal for .18¢ a round. Forgetting all about the first order so I ordered 1000 rounds. Each order, the price included shipping. A day after the second order, I received two emails saying my orders have been shipped. That's when I remembered ordering the first. The 1000 round order was delivered yesterday. While putting it away in a different place that I normally store this ammo, low and behold I open the cabinet door and I'm staring at over 300 rounds. Forgot all about those. Doesn't matter I guess because if I had remembered about them, sure as all get out, they would have been shot up by now anyway.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I picked up 1200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags at Walmart last week at just under $0.085 per round.

It's out there if ya look around.

Reactions: JLS1911

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
I'm getting old and forgetful, I guess. At the beginning of March I was able to purchase a new Taurus TX-22 Competition. Thought I had plenty of ammo for a while. Enough to at least get my Red Dot zeroed in, play around with it for a day or two, then do the last round of a rim fire steel plate league I was in. Gun came in and wow that thing is just so fun I just kept shooting and shooting. Looked and saw only 50 rounds left. :( Found a deal with PSA for .18¢ a round so ordered only 600. Week and a half goes buy and found another deal for .18¢ a round. Forgetting all about the first order so I ordered 1000 rounds. Each order, the price included shipping. A day after the second order, I received two emails saying my orders have been shipped. That's when I remembered ordering the first. The 1000 round order was delivered yesterday. While putting it away in a different place that I normally store this ammo, low and behold I open the cabinet door and I'm staring at over 300 rounds. Forgot all about those. Doesn't matter I guess because if I had remembered about them, sure as all get out, they would have been shot up by now anyway.
Only just turned 51 when this happened:

... and I’d be deeelighted for it to repeat.

Reactions: JLS1911

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
When I was working on the border between the US and Canada during the last ammo shortage 2006 - 2010 there were millions of Rimfire ammo being exported to Canada on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was able to pick up a thousand Blazer .22 and a thousand CCI "Quite" (that I can shoot in my back yard) ... I do have several nice .22 pistols and rifles, so I can still have something to plink with while I sit on my 9mm and .45 for now.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,117 Posts
I bought 600 rounds CCI MiniMags from Wallmart in Dallas last week. $7.25/100
That left about 2000 on the shelf.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have not bought a Box of 22’s in the last couple of years, after the first “shortage” I checked remaining inventory and found about 15,000 rounds of assorted brands on the shelf. When I found good deals on ammo after that I bought it, when this “ panic” hit I had roughly 35,000 rounds—shared 5,000 with local gun shop recently and shoot one of my many 22 rimfire rifles and pistols often. Other calibers were treated to the same plan.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I bought 600 rounds CCI MiniMags from Wallmart in Dallas last week. $7.25/100
That left about 2000 on the shelf.
The last time I tried to buy ammo at Walmart it was a exercise in futility. They couldn't find the sporting goods section guy who had the key to the cabinet. The manager didn't have a key either. I eventually took the crude hint that they really weren't interested in selling ammo anymore and left without buying anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts