1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made in approximately 2004 , it has the commander 4 1/4" slide, the smaller officer's frame and the sweetest double action trigger on the planet. This one has had a heavy dehorn and semi-mirror polish. The receiver's butt has been rounded and the plastic MSH replaced with a Wilson Combat compact SS round butt MSH. Sights are XS Sight Systems Big Dot tritiums. I'm still waiting on a custom EGW barrel bushing.

While the slide is basically the same as a standard 1911, the receiver is another story. Whoever designed the double action trigger system was a mad diabolical genius who must have designed automatons in a prior life. Or maybe it was Swiss watches. I thank the good people on the internet who have shared their knowledge on the reassembly of this complication. Once you reassemle it the logic and interrelationships of the parts is understood and it can be easily be repeated from memory. Still it takes much longer than a standard 1911 and is not something that can be done in the field very easy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am not much for shiny anything but that sure is a pretty piece. Are the LDA's as sweet as the hype would lead one to believe?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the LDA's as sweet as the hype would lead one to believe?
This is the only LDA I have had experience with. When I dry-fired it at my LGS the DA trigger pull was so light and smooth I was sure something was wrong. My LGS said it was working properly. I just smiled and said "dang"!

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I wanted to install a standard 1911 (SA/DA) trigger mechanism in my LDA, would this be possible?
No, the LDA frame cuts are completely incompatible with standard 1911 fire control parts... with the exception of the MSH, thumb safety and magazine release(maybe the hammer spur too).

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
No, the LDA frame cuts are completely incompatible with standard 1911 fire control parts... with the exception of the MSH, thumb safety and magazine release(maybe the hammer spur too).
cmb2474:

The LDA hammers of the older type - with a spur - and the newer flat ones, are part of the LDA lockwork, and aren't interchangeable with standard 1911 components.

Some LDA guns can swap things like recoil springs (and spring guides) and barrel bushings, and the slide stop. The thumb safety levers may need a little gunsmith work, but they'll swap too. Grips, likewise, but within some limitations (and not the double-stackers).

I have a similar LDA gun, a "CCO", from about 2007. 3.5" slide, "Officer's" frame. I swapped grips and added an arched MSH.

Looked like this

until I swapped in CT laser grips and removed the frontstrap cover.

(I have a 4" Kimber that's set up more or less the same, with a standard SA action.)

Great EDC....

Enjoy,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts