1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be dumb but does anyone get nervous about carrying their nice 1911s as far as damaging them goes? I mean bumping/brushing a table, wall, doorway or otherwise hard surface and dinging up the gun? I am getting my CCW soon and idk if I want to carry my nice 1911s or if I should designate only 1 gun as my carry gun or what I should do.. Opinions??

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's why I carry in a shoulder rig or IWB with plenty of clothing covering it. Its going to be hard to scratch my SS Gov't MKIV through my clothes and the holster, and with a shoulder rig the risk of bumping it goes out the window. Not to mention a couple little marks add a little character to a firearm, I'm not so concerned with hurting my finish as having my gun on me. Another thing to add is that my 1911 for carry is no show piece, if I had a super nice customized 1911 NIB I might have reservations about carrying it...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just ordered a $1700 Fusion Custom 1911 that will be my everyday carry. It will ride most days in town in an IWB or a jacket covered OWB. But when I am in the woods it will ride OWB, often times unprotected. I also religiously practice injury drills (firing, loading, and manipulating it with one hand) that will require the new 10-8 sight on it to be racked on bootheels, tabletops, walls, etc. I specifically selected the sights to work with these techniques. It's a tool to ensure my safety. While I will be careful not to damage it foolishly, it will accumulate some dings I am sure. If I trust it with my life it damn well better work with a few dings!

As far as designating one gun to carry, by all means. The more you use and train with one weapon the more proficient you will be. Personally I select two, the one I will carry the majority of the time, and the smaller one that I will use when I can't find a way to dress around the primary carry. I try and balance my training between the two, but if I have to choose one to train with for that day I will use my primary carry 2 out of 3 times.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
As long as you carry with an IWB and clothing draped over your rig you won't have any worries.

On rare occasion I've bumped into a doorway, etc. with no harm at all to whichever pistol I was carrying.

Carry your showcase 1911's and don't worry about messing up their finishes.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Interesting question. Just yesterday, an RSO told me he got a Glock
to carry, as he was concerned that if he actually used his Colt Combat
Commander to defend himself, he may never get it back from the police.

I view a carry gun as a tool. I'd sure as he|| hate to lose my
Commander, but the defense it provides me is my paramount
consideration. I can get another one; I can't get a new heiny.

Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
IMHO the best guns to carry are built like tools, the safe queens shouldn't be carried unless your prepared to ding them. Most GOOD 1911's carry and hold up well, as long as you keep them clean and lubed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I Took My '96 Kimber Hog Hunting

As a backup for a 10" 44 Mag Contender. Slipped and fell on some big rocks in a creek bed. Cost me some skin, blood and left grip panel. Put a split in the Contender's grip but I got over it. Wasn't happy but the damage wasn't bad enough to stop me from carrying it as a back up.
BTW- shot a sow at about 30 yards with 2-230 gr Black Talons in the chest with that Kimber. Finished her off at around 100 with a 180 gr XTP from the Contender. Lack of penetration from the BT's although she was barely over 100#'s. Not had a similar problem with FMJ's.
Paul

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't worry......

The two guns I carry the most are a Springfield 1911 and a Smith 649 Bodygaurd. They both are scratched up some and not things of beauty anymore ,but they still work just fine. I don't see how you can carry a gun every day and keep it looking new. This is a good way to justify buying several guns, one or two to use as carry guns and the rest to enjoy at the range, or to show off to your buds!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two guns I carry the most are a Springfield 1911 and a Smith 649 Bodygaurd. They both are scratched up some and not things of beauty anymore ,but they still work just fine. I don't see how you can carry a gun every day and keep it looking new. This is a good way to justify buying several guns, one or two to use as carry guns and the rest to enjoy at the range, or to show off to your buds!
Haha I love it!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My four stages of gun/car ownership

There are the stages of a new gun and a new car
Stage one you are a paranoid lunatic. cleaning and polishing to the point of obsession dont park in the rain dont carry when the humidity is high

Stage two you take good care of it and clean it but the new smell is gone or the 1911 is getting broken in so shes shooting better

Stage three shes used but not abused. Those holster marks are character builders and they make you love her

Stage four you were in a fender bender or dropped your weapon doing weak hand tap rack bang. This is the big stage where the car or weapon no longer needs to be pampered in your mind This is what I call the end of honeymoon phase Its a gun its made of metal to shoot bullets a couple of dings wont hurt it.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
There are the stages of a new gun and a new car
Stage one you are a paranoid lunatic. cleaning and polishing to the point of obsession dont park in the rain dont carry when the humidity is high

Stage two you take good care of it and clean it but the new smell is gone or the 1911 is getting broken in so shes shooting better

Stage three shes used but not abused. Those holster marks are character builders and they make you love her

Stage four you were in a fender bender or dropped your weapon doing weak hand tap rack bang. This is the big stage where the car or weapon no longer needs to be pampered in your mind This is what I call the end of honeymoon phase Its a gun its made of metal to shoot bullets a couple of dings wont hurt it.
+1

I do avoid carrying my SA TRP for daily purposes because I've designated it my competition gun. Its not a safe queen, and its still a tool, but I treat it more like a micrometer than a tape measure- a precise instrument that I take care of to maintain its integrity.

I bought my DW CBOB to carry and not worry about as much. It being stainless makes character marks a lot less noticable. Kind of silly when I really think about it, because its just as expensive and well built as my TRP...oh well

Part of the equation you have to consider is exactly what kind of conditions are involved with daily carry for you? Most folks who have fairly inactive daily routines (physically) or are indoors most of the time aren't really subjecting their guns to much...so a nice gun wouldn't really get that dinged up. Others who have laborous, outdoor, or otherwise highly active daily routines will subject their guns to a lot more abuse. Myself for example, I work on a large commercial dairy farm so I'm outside in the elements, getting dirty, climbing in and out of equipment, ect. The guns I've carryied as work guns reflect this kind of mileage and I wouldn't want that for higher end 1911's personally.

So really its a personal taste and preference decision.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
My carry 1911 was bought used, so somebody else began the "character" wear on it before I got it. My S&W 642, well, that's just not really an attractive gun to begin with. NOw, after several years of pocket carry...:eek:. Scary, but it works every single trigger pull, so I'm good.

I don't worry about either one. Now, actual damage, that would be another issue altogether. cosmetic marks, I'm not worried about.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not what I'd worry about

Personally, I would be more concerned about bumping a table/door, etc., and having someone hear the noise of something other than your torso/hips hitting. It could be the giveaway of you carrying concealed, at least to someone paying attention to what is going on around them.
But maybe I'm just a bit paranoid.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
From a Mod here:

"Sometimes people let their vanity get in the way of their common sense. My first impression of these "my holster put a boo boo on my precious" threads is that maybe the whole business of carrying a gun for personal defense is lost on these folks.

Here's the solution.

If you don't want your custom knife to get scratch marks on the blade, don't ever cut anything with it. If you don't want scratches on the gunstock of your hunting rifle, don't ever hunt with it. If you don't want swirl marks in the paint of your brand new car, don't ever wash it (or drive it for that matter). Finally, if you can't mentally deal with the fact that you are going to aquire wear marks on your brand new carry pistols finish, sometimes much sooner than later and in places you didn't expect, then lock it up in a safe and definitely don't ever put it in a holster."

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
From a Mod here: "Sometimes people let their vanity get in the way of their common sense. My first impression of these "my holster put a boo boo on my precious" threads is that maybe the whole business of carrying a gun for personal defense is lost on these folks.
Here's the solution.
If you don't want your custom knife to get scratch marks on the blade, don't ever cut anything with it. If you don't want scratches on the gunstock of your hunting rifle, don't ever hunt with it. If you don't want swirl marks in the paint of your brand new car, don't ever wash it (or drive it for that matter). Finally, if you can't mentally deal with the fact that you are going to aquire wear marks on your brand new carry pistols finish, sometimes much sooner than later and in places you didn't expect, then lock it up in a safe and definitely don't ever put it in a holster."
BillD:

+1 :rock: I was thinking it. You just said it.

If and when I pack (carry) a gun...........I expect it to be a bit whacked up in one way or another.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes I worry about it once I get home. I carry a DW CCO which is a beautiful gun to me, but I don't hesitate to strap it on knowing that it will get character flaws. If you choose to carry a gun then carry one that you accept getting beat up. This threshold is different for every person.

I have plenty of guns I would like to keep pretty. My CCW is there to protect me, not look pretty. Because hopefully no one will ever see my CCW as long as I carry it and if they do they won't be worrying about how it looks over what is coming out of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From a Mod here:

"Sometimes people let their vanity get in the way of their common sense. My first impression of these "my holster put a boo boo on my precious" threads is that maybe the whole business of carrying a gun for personal defense is lost on these folks.

Here's the solution.

Exactly, not to mention what will these same people do when they shoot somebody & the pistol ends up in a property room for 6 months to 5 years....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Exactly, not to mention what will these same people do when they shoot somebody & the pistol ends up in a property room for 6 months to 5 years....
I've gotten a 1911 back from a property room. Someone had taken a silver paint pen to the slide and frame and written all over it. The rear sight was dinged from where it apparently had been dropped and there was some wear on the side from where it had apparently been shelf'd pretty roughly. I also never got the magazine back and they were disinterested in looking for it. I guess they're used to handling highpoints.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts