1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I tackled what to me are the two most glaring flaws with Kimber's pistols.. (Well, flaws is strong, let's just say the two parts they seem to spend the least amount of effort fitting...)

First off, big thanks to PVT Ryan and Blindhogg for their HIGHLY informative and confidence-boosting websites, and friendly advice.

Tonight I fitted a Brown High Grip BT and Thumb safety to my relatively new Classic Stainless.

First, the BT...
The Brown BT proved to be just a hair longer than the stock one, necessitating some minor lengthening of the wide area in the frame. No problem. It popped right in. I guess the guys at Kimber got the radius right. Surprisingly, there wasn't much to remove on the frame, the sweep was remarkably similar. There was, however, a decent amount of blending to be done on the lower arms of the tangs. 15 minutes, a sanding drum, and a cratex bit later, it was blended as smooth as a baby's rump. On to the top... WOW! No work to be done... Out of the box the top blend was as close to perfect as I could want. Polished the bt and the rear of the frame to a mirror and called that part done.

On to the thumb safety.... CRAPOLA!!!
Brownells sent me the wrong safety... I ordered the tactical... The sticker on the baggy says Tactical, but the part and the card in the bag are the WIDE safety.... (Bummed now..) Put down the part, tools, and went for an adult beverage... (BRAINSTORM ALERT!)

Right about now I'm thinking how long I'll have to wait for the exchange, and I'm going to their website to get the phone number to call... By mistake I click the wrong bookmark and land at Burnscustom.com.... Hey wait, doesn't he trim Brown's safeties??? So I put a cut-off wheel on the dremel and have at it, figuring at worst, I'll reinstall the factory safety, chalk one up to experience, and order another safety. Well, 3 cut-off wheels later, I now have the thin, countoured safety I wanted, and it looks better than the Tactical. Fitting was no problem, just took 4 strokes of the file.

After cleaning and reassembly, I must say I feel good. The pistol now sits better in my hand, looks better to the eye, and sounds soooo cool when I click the safety off and on...

I intend to bead blast it back to the original matte finish, but I think I'm gonna hold off an extra day or two, just to admire the mirror finish of the BT... In fact, I think I'll just get the frame blasted...

Again, thanks guys for the help... I'm sure I'll be asking more questions and sharing more stories, as you've gotten me totally addicted to home smithy work.

Now all I have to do is figure out my next mod... (Already did a sweet trigger job and polished the ramp.) Suggestions?

Patrick

[This message has been edited by Arrowman (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
641 Posts
Arrowman
Great job, I do the same thing on a wide thumb safety, but I use a sanding machine, usually take off a line or two. Looks good and you never have to worry about it being to thin if you narrow it yourself. If your Kimber has the stock fixed sight I would recommend replacing it, in my opinion it is the absolute worst sight in the world. Other than the sight issue if you have a fixed sight Kimber, you have tackled the most glaring flaws in my opinion. OOPS almost forgot what about your plastic mainspring housing?
Chris from Va

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I trimmed it down to just 3 lines wide...and bevelled the underside.. basically, it doesn't protrude any farther than the top of the grip panel..yet remains easy and intuitive to activate/deactivate.. I really lucked out there..

Ahh the MSH... still plastic... Back in May I'd ordered an SS/Flat/Serrated msh from 45gunparts.com, but the it was soo out of spec, I literally have used it as a weight, it's still on my boat. I'd like the utility of a lanyard loop.. So I'm either going to go with one from S&A, or pay the rather ludicrious price for the one from Gunsite's smithy.. I'm open to other suggestions though.

Sights, yeah, they're ugly. But they are also dead on (when I use them.) I'm leaning more toward some 3 dot night sights than these "Straight Eights" that everyone seems to rave about.. I have 3 dot systems on all my other pistols, and don't want to have 2 different sight pictures in my manual of arms. Only problem, so far, is the only source for 3 dot tritium sights that will drop into the dovetail is Kimber, who's been having mad q/c problems with their sights lately.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Arrowman.....I think Brownell's is carrying the Wilson snag-free sites in "Night Eys" they fit the rear notch of a mil-spec without mods. You may want to check it out.

------------------
I guess if we do that.....maybe we all earn the right to go home......

Please visit my Gunsmithing Web Project.

http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Me wants pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts