1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speficially Wilsons; but I guess this could apply across the board. . . .

If you buy 8 rounders; is there any downside vs. 7 rounders when only loaded to 7? I guess the follower's shorter; but the spring compresses the same as a 7 rounder when you only load 7, and any first-round issues would go away, right?

Using an 8 rounder as a 7 rounder would only become an issue I guess due to the (is it?) follower being shorter/less stable. And I haven't found a Wilson short follower that would allow a slide to close over it with any amount of force I could apply, so it seems to be fairly stable against tipping.

Not dissing the other brands either - I have some nice cheaper ChipMcc 10-rounders that are at 100% reliability as well.

Just my thoughts.

Battler.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I always load any of my mags "minus one." I have 8 rd. Wilsons for my Colt, which I only load 7 in.

I have 13 rd. factory Para's which I only load 12.

I have done this for a long time - it allows me to seat my mags faster in the gun, if I need to do a tactical reload, and I also believe that the spring is compressed too tightly when fully loaded, and I don't need any hang-ups due to kinking, or the follower somehow jamming down too low.

Of course, all this is IMHO only - and I have no hard evidence that loading your mags to full capacity is asking for trouble. I simply feel better going with the minus-1 thing.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
134 Posts
....and then the paper read, "if that Canadian only would have had one more shot......"

------------------
IceCreamSoldier............... what else is so easy to attack........

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by ICS:
....and then the paper read, "if that Canadian only would have had one more shot......"

LOL, yeah with my luck, that's exactly the way the headline would read......

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
The spring in 8-round mags is not as strong as those in 7-rounders. A downloaded 8 might not put as much stress and strain on the spring, but the 7-rounder should have extra "oomph" when in good condition. As an example: My Detonics Combat Master cycles very quickly, due to the short, light slide. It works fine with 7-round mags, but none of the 8-rounders, that work perfectly in my 5" gun, will feed in the CM. The spring just can't lift the ammo stack quickly enough to get the top round in position to be stripped by the slide. If I didn't trust 8-rounders with eight rounds, I wouldn't trust them with seven, either.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That surely is interesting. I just looked up the Detonics - never seen one before; but I agree, by testing that extreme of slide speed you get a unique perspective.

The follower/spring combo on the Wilson 7 rounder OFFICERS mag is the same as in the 8. I have had absolute reliability feeding with my Kimber Compact with these over thousands of rounds; but admittedly the spring is working in a more compressed form and only ever pushing 7 rounds.

I had already ordered a couple of 8 rounder Wilsons. I figure if they fail me I'll pay the $5 each to buy the spring/follower for 7s. Your point is made though - the margin for error for 7s (i.e. with spring weakening) is higher. I'll think about it - but for now my full-size 1911 is used purely as a "toy", the ultra-reliable compact, with 7 rounders, remains the gun on my hip I count on daily.

thanks,
Battler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts