1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post some of my thoughts on this particular modification. I've heard many different theories on why or why not one should have one of these put on a BHP. As a guy with apparently very meaty hands I have had to make some pretty extensive changes to my hammer to keep it from biting me. Since the hammer's so short now, this negates the possibility of thumb cocking or dropping my hammer (even though I can't see why I'd really need to). I'd like to use a C&S type 2 commander hammer but I would not be able to cut as much material from that type as I have with my spur hammer (I would still have to do this to keep it from causing the "pinch" type bite). Even though my current hammer is not a problem, the grip tang is still too short to be comfortable for me, and the sharp corner did raise a small blister after 200 rds today (at circled area).

If you're like me you've probably thought about having this done but are not sure due to some opposing arguments like:

1. it cause your grip to become too low, increasing muzzle flip

2. it ruins the "lines" or appearance of the HP

3. high cost

I guess I'm in favor of this mod if you think you need it, and my answers to the above arguments follow:

1. Too high grip? The most comfortable and ergonomically perfect firearm I have ever shot was my EAA Witness gold team. It has a built in beavertail which allows a nice high grip and keeps the hammer from contacting the hand. Weld on beavertails for the BHP would seem to allow at least as high, if not a higher grip than the beavertail on the Witness. The following pics illustrate this point.

2. It ruins the looks? This is totally a matter of taste so I won't even touch that. I personally like the look.

3. Cost? I you figure the cost of materials and having a gunsmith fit a beavertail to a 1911 I think you'll find it is not appreciably more expensive to have a beavertail added to a BHP. Also, shop around. Some well known quality smiths charge as little as $150 for this mod while others want up to $300.

For those folks on the fence maybe this will help in your decision. If anybody has any experiences with their beavertailed BHPs please post here and let me know how yours have worked out.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
hhsmiley, I too have the same problem with my BHP's. I've got a MIII practical and an almost new blued model. To cut down on the bite, I've had my gunsmith just about cut the hammer down to a flat piece of metal. While in Israel I came across a BHP copy named the Kareen, by KSN industries. It is an EXACT copy of the BHP with all interchangeable parts. The major difference is that it has a built in beavertail grip. Designed into the frame and not a gunsmith add on. Since I've had my 4 Kareens I enjoy shooting them more and more every day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts