1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Blade Tech Wenger Hunter as a gift. The blade is s30v and the handles are G10. How does the quality of this knife compare to a Benchmade or Spyderco?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I can't comment on the Blade Tech model you mention, but the Tarani Master's Model Karambit that I carry was made, in collaboration with Steve Tarani, by Blade Tech. Same for the red-handled trainer version of the same knife.

The live blade is a thing of absolute precision, quality materials, strength, and even beauty. It has G10 scales, a razor sharp S30V blade, and a really strong lock that requires the most deliberate depression to unlock the blade. It's an awesome piece of equipment.

In fact, the lock is so strong that it's very difficult to deploy the knife with a rapid opening using only one hand, the way I can easily open the trainer. I sent an email to Blade Tech, and received a prompt response that basically said, "We did that on purpose with the live blade to ensure that it would never unlock by accident in actual [defensive] use, but if you'd like the lock spring lightened to be more like the trainer, just send it back and we'll do it." I passed, choosing to continue to lube and work the action manually, and vigorously practice the one-handed opening.

Leads me to conclude that they are doing their own knives, and in my experience, doing one hell of a job at it. If I were in the market for a knife like the Wenger Hunter, I'd buy it with no hesitation.

YMMV, but I'm betting that you'll get great service from that knife.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Rob72 said:
The BladeTech knives were made by Spyderco (I don't know if that has changed...?). I had a large, and it was one of my favorite EDC's.
Spyderco dropped them because they were not selling and Blade Tech currently has a custom maker make them. They used to say who it was on their website, but I couldn't find the name on it and I don't remember who it is. And they've also started having lower priced versions made in Japan now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.