1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted some extra opinions on placing the Wilson eagle/"C" logo on the right side, rear of slide behind the vertical serrations. I have mixed feelings about it since I haven't seen one done yet. It partially conflicts with Colt's classic rollmarks and lines, but it's also very unique.

Somehow the build sheet ended up with the Colt being gutted and almost all parts being replaced so I thought it would be tasteful to have some sort of builders mark on it aside from the atypical "Wilson" on the dust cover. Maybe some sort of engraving on the frame under the grips?

I am totally open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Personally, I would either stick with the traditional dust cover notation or leave well enough alone. A Wilson re-worked Colt is definitely a highly-desirable gun, but it represents something a bit different that the typical Wilson fare, and unless you just happen to have a strong affinity for the WC logo, I would leave that to the Wilson-branded guns.

A customized Colt should look like a Colt. A subtle inscription (if desired) and the documentation that goes with the gun tell the rest of the story pretty clearly. Whether or not Wilson's will do that under the grips like Heirloom Precision does is something you will have to ask about, but it certainly makes sense to me.

AC

·
Registered
223 Posts
Post pictures of the roll mark. I would say no.

I always order my semi-customs with naked slides, however Colt's rollmarks have always been beautiful to me when done right. I especially love the classic 50's models.

·
Banned
817 Posts
IMHO, adding the Wilson name or logo to a Colt pistol will only seem like an attempt to make it appear to be a Wilson.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
Being in the retail 1911 realm for a day or two, I would say no also. Notice most or very many of the builders of the small shop do the shop or makers signature under the grip or the dust cover or both if the shop starts with a clients piece.

And also, found the Colt logo usually is a benefit in the long run for resale.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Although I'm now exclusively a Wilson customer for 1911s, the name "Colt", together with the Colt emblem, has a special place in the minds of most firearms enthusiasts.

Personally, I would leave the markings on any Colt as they are, without mixing-in another name (no matter how good that other name may be).

But this is an individual decision ... not something that has an absolute "right" or "wrong" answer.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Honestly, guys ... either you know what you're looking at, or you don't. All of this talk about markings and such is more than a little silly when you really think about it.

A guy that knows quality 1911s doesn't need you to tell him what he is looking at; he will recognize the parts and component upgrades and understand what has been done to the gun. A guy that doesn't know 1911s won't have any idea what any of it means, even if the build sheet itself is micro-engraved on the flats. Knowledge, not appearances, is what separates the good from the truly great here.

Not taking anything away from the idea that a simple inscription can still be a nice touch on a customized Colt, but as always, it all comes down to individual tastes and priorities.

AC

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the honest opinions guys. I think with the price jumping towards The CQB - I got a little carried away.

I'm 100% sure the gun will speak for itself.

FYI: Rolmarks are the new Govt ones. Very clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts