1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, thanks in advance for your responses (not a LEO.......just a lowly PI). I experienced an event recently that was no big deal, but got me to thinking. I live in VA, about 25 miles away from the NC border. A couple of weekends ago, my family and I decided to attend a local "festival" one Saturday morning. I possess a concealed carry permit from VA, and NC doesn't have reciprocity. Almost always, I carry at the very least, my little Keltec P-32 (truly irrelevant to the circumstance)wherever I go (in VA at least). Anyway, it didn't even enter my mind until we were about 3 miles from the NC border that I had my weapon with me. No problem, out of respect to NC law as I know it, I pulled over to the shoulder of the road, unloaded my weapon, locked the slide back, stowed it in the rear of my van, with the mag stowed in a separate place. My question is, if there are any NC LEOs out there......If I had forgotten, and been stopped for some reason, how would you look at it? (It was a Saturday morning, had my family with me, on a short day trip). Just curious.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm sorry no one has answered you. I'd like to know how some LEOs would have handled the scenario you describe.

My guess is, it depends on the cop, what he had for breakfast, and whether things are going good with his significant other.
At least, I'd like to think that most police officers would not see you as a significant threat to society.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Based on answers I have seen throughout the web, most would approach it politely, and while they may not approve of the law, they may remind you to "try" to adhere to it.

Some may actually have given you grief, not for carrying the gun, but for carrying the Kel-Tec

I live in a "Won't issue" state, and while I try hard to obey the law, I will say that I do my best to ensure that I am able to protect my life, and the life of my loved ones as much as is humanly possible, while remaining near the line or letter of the law.

My discussion's with local LE's whom I know, and whom I don't know, but have had conversations with remains split. I hold valid CCW's in a couple states I frequent, and hope that it may help identify me as a "Good Guy", should the need arise.

It's really a case, by case thing... Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Good question! I routinely do the same thing going to shoot IDPA in a state,Ohio, That does not allow CCW

·
Registered
284 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
Based on answers I have seen throughout the web, most would approach it politely, and while they may not approve of the law, they may remind you to "try" to adhere to it.

Some may actually have given you grief, not for carrying the gun, but for carrying the Kel-Tec

I live in a "Won't issue" state, and while I try hard to obey the law, I will say that I do my best to ensure that I am able to protect my life, and the life of my loved ones as much as is humanly possible, while remaining near the line or letter of the law.

My discussion's with local LE's whom I know, and whom I don't know, but have had conversations with remains split. I hold valid CCW's in a couple states I frequent, and hope that it may help identify me as a "Good Guy", should the need arise.

It's really a case, by case thing... Good Luck...
10EC-

I'm a VA LEO, and if your situation had been reversed (NC CCW holder in VA) my response would have been very similar to what jaydee suggested. But that's only me, it WOULD be a case by case, cop by cop thing.

------------------
"Sic Semper Tyrannus"

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you had a CCW in your home state, I for one would not have hassled you for having your weapon. But if I had to arrest you for something such as DUI, I would charge you with the weapon, because as a drunk driver, you would no longer be one of the good guys. Check out this link over at HCT on CCWs and how other states view them...
http://www.hardcoretalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000062

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

1 - 6 of 6 Posts