1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a Surefire 6Z to my ever-growing list of "things my wife doesn't understand the need for."

Any comments on the Surefire line... or tac lights in general?

Thanks,

Mac

·
Registered
429 Posts
A tac light is one of the best investments you'll ever make. Not only will you be able to identify your target but you'll also be able to momentarally blind them if it's dark enough. Plus the cost of a good tac light is SURE to piss your wife off. I know it worked on my wife!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You actually TOLD her what they cost?
You're either gutsy as Hell or the Hoppes vapors are getting to you! LOL

Seriousley, we rarely ask each other how much our respective toys cost. We each earn our own paychecks so for the most part the occassional splurge is taken in stride.

Of course the pearls for our anniversary "might" have bought me a little extra tolerance! <heh heh>

Mac

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Gotta have 'em !

Surefire is a well made product. Get the high ooutput lamp assy. This doubles the light output from an already bright starting point. Battery life is only about 20 minutes with the high output lamp, but it is BRIGHT.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey,
I just put a surefire dedicated mount to my Kimber .45 1911. It's model 610 (or close to it) with an ambi switch and constant on/off switch. It works great and haven't had any malfunctions yet. It was quite expensive though as are the batteries! Installation was easy and required no gunsmithing or fitting. Just followed the directions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
SureFire is the Cadillac of lights.Get a lanyard ring and a spares carrier.The spares carrier holds six batteries and a spare lamp assembly and comes with a good lanyard.I would not want to meet an angry man with a Surefire,Pepper spray,and a 1911 at night.Powerful medicine.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'd say they have a pretty good reputation judging by what I'm hearing.

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll be getting a Surefire soon.

Mac

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
SureFire tactical lights are truly amazing, and I know how potent they can be from experience. If you don't want to draw your gun in a potentially ugly situation, a SureFire aimed at eye-level is a wonderful alternative. The M6 puts out a visually devastating 500 lumens!!

In my younger years, I was an [email protected]@hole, but since then, I've mellowed out and would never again do what I'm about to relate.

One night, several years ago, just after dusk, I heard someone knocking on my front door. I looked through the peep hole to see two young men, probably in their early twenties, dressed in white oxford shirts, navy blue pants, and black ties. I knew who it was right away, since the same people had been canvassing the whole neighborhood for the last few weeks, trying to get my attention on several occasions.

So I opened the door, but kept the chain bolted in place. As I said, "Who is it?" I turned on my SureFire flashlight and aimed it though the crack in the door. If you ever want to make a person really irate, try shining a 200 lumens tac light in his eyes. I swear I heard one of the Jehovah’s Witnesses mumble "GD" under his breath.

After a couple of minutes had passed, and the two men could see again, I apologized and told them I was just heading out, but if they wanted, they could come by tomorrow evening for a nice long chat. Oddly enough, they never came back.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by traevin:

In my younger years, I was an [email protected]@hole, but since then, I've mellowed out and would never again do what I'm about to relate.
I guess that makes me an [email protected]@hole NOW then - cuz I know what my next Surefire tactical mission will be

Thanks for the great idea!

No offense to any Jehovahs, just don't knock on my door after sunset please

·
Registered
568 Posts
I use my 6P to blind a yardfull of yappy dogs when my wife and I go on our walk.

As each one comes screaming up to the chain link fence and gets ready to bark, I shine the 6P into their eyes. I guess for all practical purposes it makes me invisible because they don't utter a peep.

But normall if anybody walks by that house, the whole neighborhood knows it.

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
A good tactical light is one of the most important pieces of equipment you can carry; I wear mine as often as I wear my pistol.

Either the Sure Fire 6p or 6Z, or a Streamlight Scorpion is a good light for full-time carry, whichever suits you best will serve you well. You will find that you will use it in a lot of situations that don't involve use of force. Just be careful not to use it if you need a light for extended periods of time, those little 3 volt lithium camera batteries don't last long. It's best to back it up by a larger tactical flashlight like the Streamlight SL20 or a Stinger kept in a charger at home or in the vehicle.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From KSLawman:
>>A good tactical light is one of the most important pieces of equipment you can carry; I wear mine as often as I wear my pistol.
Either the Sure Fire 6p or 6Z, or a Streamlight Scorpion is a good light for full-time carry, whichever suits you best will serve you well. You will find that you will use it in a lot of situations that don't involve use of force. Just be careful not to use it if you need a light for extended periods of time, those little 3 volt lithium camera batteries don't last long. It's best to back it up by a larger tactical flashlight like the Streamlight SL20 or a Stinger kept in a charger at home or in the vehicle<<

Some good info there. Way ahead of you on backups for general use. I keep a 3 D-cell maglite under the bed and I've got so many 2 AA maglites here and there I've lost count - one in the glove box, one in the travel bag, one in the range bag...you get the idea.

Just ordered a 6Z with two extra 60P(?) lamps. Should arrive in about a week.

BTW, Milt Sparks also makes a tac light carrier (#6p-4c). I'll be ordering that the same time as my Watch-Six rig... there's an order that keeps getting more expensive!

Thanks again for all the good advice guys, it's nice to have the input before shelling out this kind of money.

Mac

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They also have set-ups for recharge, fast or slow and any conceivable combination you can think of...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 6z comes with a lanyard and a lockout cap to avoid...um, ADs (can you have an AD with a flashlight?)

I saw the recharger conversion kit on Surefire's webpage. Looks interesting, I might have to get that too! Anyone know who carries those? I haven't seen them anywhere online, must be fairly new?
Thanks,

Mac

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, you CAN get AD's with your flashlight.

I have a tac light mounted on my HK pistol, but a blade tec holster. I have to remove the Tac light for IDPA matches. Well, I put the tac-light in the nylon pouch built for it, and closing the velcro strap must have turned it on, or shifting in the range bag might.

Well, the next time I noticed it, a good part of the nylon pouch had melted, and the batteries were dead. No damage to the tac light though. So, the cap is a good idea.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have had some problems with Surefires but overall they're not bad. The bulbs are so damned expensive, and I recently had a very hard time getting a good one.

Check out www.quik2see.com for a pretty cool method for attaching a light to your favorite pistol (or anything else)-- it's easy on and easy off, the light can be carried separately, in other words, the light and pistol are not mated until you want the to be. Disclaimer: I have some personal interest in this product as it is based on a patent of mine. The guy that's making it basically came up with the idea after I did and "discovered" me when he went to patent it. I like my original design better, but his works just as well.

[This message has been edited by Ned Christiansen (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've beeen using My 6Z for the past three or four years.DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

1 - 18 of 18 Posts