1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my ongoing search for the perfect carry gun, I had been looking for a compact 45 acp. For obvious reasons, what I really want is a CCO 1911. However, due to budgetary constraints, that option was just not a possibility. So, after much shopping and handling, I purchased a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro. I bought the gun because, although it is a Taurus, I was pretty impressed with the features: a) 10+1 rounds of 45 acp in a subcompact gun; b) very comfortable grip; c) single action operating system; d) thumb safety which allows for cocked-and-locked carry; e) Heinie straight-eight sights.

I'm curious about others' experience with these guns. After a few hundred rounds, SO FAR the only malfunctions appear to result from a particular magazine, which, when fully loaded, looks like the follower tips down and the first couple rounds are at the improper angle to feed reliably. When the mag is downloaded to 8 rounds, the gun functions fine. The other magazine is 100% reliable when fully loaded so far. Also, I can see that one area where Taurus saves $$ is by not lapping barrels. After 20 rounds of LRN reloads, I couldn't even see the rifling for all the leading. Clearly, this gun was meant for jacketed ammo only. Finally, the single action trigger is too heavy (I understand it is a defense and not target gun, but I still think it could stand some stoning).

I am actually shocked at the accuracy of the gun. While I have not papered the gun off a rest, I have an approx. 8"x12" steel target 50 yards off my back step, and shooting offhand at that distance I am able to hang all shots either on or immediately around the target.

So, thoughts? Let the stoning begin...

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
My wife had one for awhile. Here are some of our observations:

1. Fair accuracy for a compact.

2. Very reliable, shot everything we fed it.

3. Horrible trigger, but then again hers was a 1st gen one. I understand the new ones have better triggers now

4. Had a issue with the pins that held the trigger group in the polymer frame backing out under recoil (big reason why I finally got rid of it next to the horrible trigger pull).

Overall a decent pistol but we ended up geting rid of it and getting her a commander size 1911 which she shoots much better with. As a BUG I wouldn't have any issues carrying it but personally not as a primary carry.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I have a PT145 Mil-Pro.

The trigger is as good as any poly gun and better than most. As DP said the originals were DAO and the Pro series are SA w/ DA second strike.

Replace the bad mag, send it to Taurus or the trash can.

My PT145 has been 100% reliable, FMJ, Hydra-Shok and Gold Dots, which is more than I can say for my Kimber which required tweaking. The biggest complaint I have is trigger slap. Not bad for short range session but you don't want to shoot it all day.

All in all it is alot of gun for the money, $350 OTD.

Too many reports of problems and poor QC. Look at the S&W M&P Compact.
A little late, he already has the Taurus :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a PT 145 Mil Pro as well, so far (about 300 rds) no problems, runs great and feels good in the hand. Not sure I would use it for constant heavy range use, but I didn't buy it with that in mind.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hope you have the Millenium Pro not just the Millenium. I've had both. The plain Millenium gave me trouble. The Pro was a great gun.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
x2, I had a Millenium Pro .40s&w, and the trigger was the only reason I sold it.
You had the Pro model with the new trigger and didn't like it?

Just trying to clarify.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, mine is a PT145 Pro. SA trigger.

El Duderino (not into the whole brevity thing): Indeed, I already own the gun. I had an M&P- it had a trigger worse than this Taurus. It would take an awful lot to get me back into S&W autos.

I'm surprised- most of you guys' replies have been generally positive. Could the PT Pros be a sleeper no one wants to admit they own (me included)?

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Could the PT Pros be a sleeper no one wants to admit they own (me included)?
Stamp "Springfield Armory- Made in Brazil" on the slide and it would sell like hot cakes.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My Millennium Pro story is pretty complex, so I won't bore you with it here. You're welcome.

In short, my PT145 went from being a dog to being a gem, and for one reason: new magazines. It came with two mags. One was only good with 6-7 rounds loaded. The other one could sometimes get through 10+1.

So I bought two new factory mags (at different times) from Gander Mountain. The gun has been 100% flawless with both. Then I picked up another one from a gun show and it's also 100%.

In short, Taurus is mixing and matching their magazine parts from whatever is laying around at the factory. The gun itself is excellent but the mags are a crap shoot.

Here's my thread with images on TaurusArmed.net (I'm SpringerXD over there) that tells the whole story:

Thread

You'll need to register (free) to read it if you aren't already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You had the Pro model with the new trigger and didn't like it?

Just trying to clarify.
Yup, mine was the Pro. Not sure what trigger it was. I liked everything about the gun except the trigger, never had an FTF or FTE. It was a very reliable gun, and would make a great CCW weapon for anybody who can handle the trigger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a PT145 Mil Pro for use as my CCW at my place in Florida. I've run about 350 rounds of Winchester FMJ through it so far. I have had quite a lot of failures to feed (14 in the first hundred rounds), and 4 failures to eject, but the gun is steadily improving (4 FTFs since with no FTEs). I plan on running another 500 rounds or so through it, and see how the reliability is then. At that point, I'll start trying some hollowpoints. For a subcompact, I find it's fairly accurate, and fun to shoot, but it's no 1911. I like my Mil Pro, and hope she continues to improve as I break it in.

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
I have the PT745 pro and I am pretty happy with it.

It eats everything I feed it...recently though I was getting light primer strikes and hearing "click" when I should have heard "bang" three weeks later it was returned by Taurus with a new spring...no problem.

I never had a problem with it feeding HP's since day one.

A great gun for the money!

Bob Morrison, CEO of Taurus is a really nice guy and is very proactive in supporting the 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like my Mil Pro. I bought mine used, put about 500 rounds through it before i had an issue. I am guessing about 2000 rounds total through the gun. sent it off to Taurus and 6 weeks later got it back. took it to the range the other day and put another 200 through it and had absolutely no issues. I am always amazed at the accuracy of this gun with such a short barrel. a lot of mention to the trigger and how poor it is, but it works for me. seems repeatable to me but i am no expert. took me a lot longer to get used to the sights than anything.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I haven't shot a Mil Pro, but I used to own a PT24/7 Pro, and it was a great gun. Had to sell it to buy my Springer GI. I actually liked the trigger on it, but the pin did tend to back out during recoil, which kinda worried me, but I'd reset it after every range session, so it didn't worry me that much. Had very few FTF or FTE issues with it, mostly limp wrist stuff, since I was a fairly new shooter. It was a great beginner gun, and I'll probably eventually buy another one, when I get the funds and have everything else on my wish list.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I shot one the earlier millenium pistols a friend of mine had. I think it was the PT111 Millenium or something like that. I remember the sights being a bit odd, the trigger not being great, and the darn pins kept coming out and had to be pushed back in during and after each string of fire.

No experience with the Pro version, though. Heck, though, if it works for you... its all good, right? Nothing wrong with a cheap pistol that works s'long as you realize its a cheap pistol and don't go and try to make it a ninja-tactical-operator race gun or something. =)

·
Registered
150 Posts
People I have read about, and met, that own them seem pretty happy with them. Just make sure she gets a good cleaning and a good lube, shoot it enough to trust it, and you will be happy.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Had a PT 111 Mil pro before and I liked it. The trigger wasn't too bad on it. for a gun at about $300 bucks I couldn't go wrong. It would take everything but the Winchester Ranger ammo. That stuff didn't even go through my 1911's so I don't blame the gun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts