1911Forum banner

Thoughts on the new ETM 9mm mag

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  LongColt 
#1 ·

My wife and I went to the range today with my fullsize stainless CQB 9mm. The only mag we used was the new ETM 9mm mag that was kindly provided by Wilson for testing and a review. Today, we each put 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115 gr rounds through the gun (so 200 rounds total).

Here are our initial thoughts:

1. My wife was the first to shoot. She loaded up the magazine, and the first comment she made was, "This magazine seems to be easier to load than others. It's not bad, especially being a new magazine." I found this magazine loaded with ease also.

2. I wanted my wife to join me at the range, so she could give her thoughts on it. Also, she doesn't have as much strength in her arms and hands, and has a different shooting "style" than me. So I figured having both of us shoot while using this magazine would give a better idea of how it works with a wider range of shooters. We simply couldn't make this magazine malfunction. I noticed once when she loaded it, the top round was not pointed upward. I was going to mention it to her, but decided to let it go to see what would happen. It chambered just fine. When I loaded it up next, I purposely positioned the top round in the most "downward" position I could, in an attempt to see if that would cause the round to nosedive on the feed ramp. It chambered perfectly. I laughed and told my wife that I think the only way we could make that magazine malfunction was if we loaded the round backwards.

3. I noticed how easily this magazine slid into the gun and locked in place. It didn't require that extra bit of effort at the end or that little tap to get it to seat. My wife didn't comment on that aspect, but I did notice her not having to slap it on the bottom to get it to seat like she does other magazines.

4. The only "malfunction" experienced during the 200 rounds was the slide not locking back once while my wife was shooting. That was due to her riding the slide stop with her thumb. I mentioned it to her, and there were no issues after that. I do NOT blame that on the magazine at all.

5. At a quick glance, the new magazine looks much like the old style. Looking more closely, there are a few differences. The new follower design is nice. I like it being metal. I feel it makes the magazine more robust. I am unsure if the other small changes are because of the new follower design, or if Wilson has other reasons.

6. One of my favorite things about the exterior of the magazine is actually something petty. I love that it actually says "9mm" on it (actually "9mm Luger"). I hate having to figure out if one of my mags is for 9mm or .38 Super. This additional bit of engraving on the new magazine takes the guesswork out of it.

Overall, I am very happy with this new ETM design. This magazine will always accompany me when I'm shooting a fullsize 9mm. The other magazines I have will only come along so I can have more than one magazine with me. I plan to order more of the new ETMs. I would also like to pick up some compact models for my wife's CQB Compact 9mm once they become available. I hope to see a .38 Super version in the future as well. Would be nice if they are offered in fullsize and compact too.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good write-up L2R, I really like the way you explained your observation points relative to how you made those observations. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and nice range pics too!

#4 ·
Nice feed back L2R . Picking up an SA champion in 9mm at the end of this month
. It will be nice to try these magazines out .

#6 ·
Puddi, I'm not following exactly what you've experienced but I did as you asked and the top round of the inserted mag with five rounds on a closed slide stayed in place when the mag was ejected. Did it again, cycled the slide, striped the round and the fourth (top) round was positioned appropriately. I've noticed that the dimple makes a noticeable difference in the retention of the last round as well.

Not sure if that's the info you're looking for but hope it helps.

#9 ·
Excellent report. Not only the content matter but also an easy-going writing style. :)

#6 makes a lot of practical sense. On my .38 magazines, there's an ugly ".38" written by hand with a permanent marker.

I never had issues with the old 9mm ETM, so I'm going to wait for a new .38 magazine.

#11 · (Edited)
Just got back from range.. Have to say I'm not impressed unfortunately.. The mag received doesn't lock back on last round in any of the three guns I used it in.. My Les Baer Mono 9mm, my wilson Xtac 9mm and dan Wesson PM9 every time failure to lock back.. It feeds perfectly in all three guns but doesn't lock the slides back on any of them.. I have never had a issue with the previous ETM magazines ever not locking back on any of these guns.. Gladly I have 15 of the previous ETM 9mm magazines..Also if I rack the slide on a empty mag it will stay open but when I remove the empty mag the slide closes with it on my XTac was only gun I tryed this..

#12 ·
That's Strange. :scratch:Usually a metal follower enhances lock back. I had to got to the Tripp with metal follower to get my Baer 38s to lock back.

#13 ·
Yes agreed I probly got a bad one I think I put about 100 rounds through the mag and only had the slide lock back once on the XTac the other 2 never did.. I will probably buy another one just to try and see if my particular mag is no good or what happen. Like I said I have never had issue with the original ETM ever..

#14 ·
Very nice performance oriented report, Live. You and your lovely lady did a fine job of putting these new mags through their paces.

Not petty about the caliber engraving on these new mags - a bunch of my mags have Brother labels stuck on.

I, too, would welcome the opportunity to purchase some of these in 38 Super.

A Question (same one I posed to ga28): Have you tried to insert one of these new mags fully loaded and with the slide closed? If so, was there any difference in that experience versus the same test with the previous generation of ETM mags?

Anyway, thanks for informative and nicely organized thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.