1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Rossi 92, in .44 Remington Magnum, out for some range time using several of my handloads. One of the test loads used Hornady 225gr FTX bullets, which fed and ran just fine out of the Rossi. Since the cases have to be trimmed to 1.255" to maintain an acceptable OAL, I mark the base of the case with a Sharpie to alert me they are FTX cases. Today I ran them through the tumbler and reapplied the markings.

Here are a couple photos of the cases before primer removal. Two cases are unmarked and two have the red Sharpie marking. I noted a tiny imprint on each and every primer. On the primer only, the cases were unmarked. I think this could be a rough spot in the breech face.

So, please look the photos over and give me your thoughts and opinions.

.44 Remington Magnum mixed brass trimmed to 1.255"
225gr Hornady FTX loaded to an OAL of 1.644"
Charge weight 18.6gr, according to Lyman's 50th starting charge is 18.5gr, maximum charge is 20.0gr

Rounds fed and ejected well and clocked 1596 fps average over my chronograph. Of not is Lyman listed their velocity as 1697 fps from a 20" barrel (mine is 18"). Anyone see any issues with bumping the charge up to 19.6gr or there abouts?

Grumpy

Gas Auto part Circle Metal Button
Automotive lighting Rim Alloy wheel Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
As long as they extracted fine and the recoil wasnt terrible, bump it up a little bit.

When primers start to crater and/or extraction gets difficult it is time to stop and go back a touch.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as they extracted fine and the recoil wasnt terrible, bump it up a little bit.

When primers start to crater and/or extraction gets difficult it is time to stop and go back a touch.
Pretty much what I thought. I didn't feel the firing pin strikes were anywhere near "cratered" not the primers excessively flattened. I've built a few loads I've shot from my Redhawk that I couldn't honestly say weren't flattened and slightly cratered. Lyman's says 18.5gr is starting and they also indicated it was the load they found most accurate, I've always wondered if that meant they grouped closest or had the smallest ES and SD. Knowing the limitations of this shooter, anything within the eight ring at 25-yards, without a rest or without a scope is very acceptable. :)

Grumpy

·
Registered
142 Posts
I took my Rossi 92, in .44 Remington Magnum, out for some range time using several of my handloads. One of the test loads used Hornady 225gr FTX bullets, which fed and ran just fine out of the Rossi. Since the cases have to be trimmed to 1.255" to maintain an acceptable OAL, I mark the base of the case with a Sharpie to alert me they are FTX cases. Today I ran them through the tumbler and reapplied the markings.

Here are a couple photos of the cases before primer removal. Two cases are unmarked and two have the red Sharpie marking. I noted a tiny imprint on each and every primer. On the primer only, the cases were unmarked. I think this could be a rough spot in the breech face.

So, please look the photos over and give me your thoughts and opinions.

.44 Remington Magnum mixed brass trimmed to 1.255"
225gr Hornady FTX loaded to an OAL of 1.644"
Charge weight 18.6gr, according to Lyman's 50th starting charge is 18.5gr, maximum charge is 20.0gr

Rounds fed and ejected well and clocked 1596 fps average over my chronograph. Of not is Lyman listed their velocity as 1697 fps from a 20" barrel (mine is 18"). Anyone see any issues with bumping the charge up to 19.6gr or there abouts?

Grumpy

View attachment 638165 View attachment 638166
Grumpy, I haven’t had a model 92 for some time, but I believe the ejector inside the bolt face is capable of making those marks depending on the size of the cartridge it is chambered for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts