1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background:
• I had a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 many years ago, used to shoot the NRA three-pistol course. I really liked it and I was good with it. I got away from shooting for a few years and sold it.
• Returned to shooting about five years ago, starting with rifles, and the on to handguns. Bought an HK USP Tactical .45, and it is great. Never a malfunction and it is very accurate. I used it to shoot my first few IDPA matches.:)
• But I still wanted a 1911, so I bought a Kimber Stainless Target II – before I was even aware of this forum. Fortunately, the Kimber has been great – no malfunctions either.:) Yes, it is a new one with the external extractor. (Now you know that I have been reading!);) I got used to the superb trigger (stock) on the Kimber, I much prefer to shoot it than the USP Tactical, and that’s what I use now for IDPA.

Decisions:
• Now I want another 1911 (Surprise anyone?) - perhaps a 4” model this time.;) I was thinking about one of the Kimber “Pro” models, and started reading about them here under the “Kimber” forum. Bottom line is that I have grown a bit hesitant :scratch: , so I started reading about the SA Custom Loaded Champion.
• It appears that there are fewer problems reported (at least here at the 1911 forums) with the SA Champions than there are with the Kimber Pro’s, so I have three questions:

1. Has it been your experience that the SA Custom Loaded Champion are essentially trouble-free and dependable? (Leaving room for exceptions…)

2. What sort of accuracy do you get with the Champion’s 4” barrel? (OK to compare it with 5” barrel models.)

3. Does anyone use an SA Loaded Champion for IPDA, and if so, how do you like for this purpose?

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have a SA loaded champion lightweight. it has been reliable with ball 230 g and hp 230 g. felt recoil and follow up shots are good but not as good as SA steel 5" loaded. i have not checked accuracy of the champ enough to comment.

the champ gets the least use at range or carry. generally i either go 5" steel or the SA compact lightweight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
After initial trouble with a defective FP stop (which I had replaced with a Wilson instead of mailing the pistol back to Springer) my Champion has been 100% reliable with everything I stuff into the magazine.

Only other things I've replaced on it are the grips & magazine. Not that they were bad, just a matter of personal taste on the grips, and had 2 Wilson 47D's from a previous 1911.

Accuracy isn't as good as I expected, but have only had this pistol for a few weeks, and only 4 times at the range so far. Groups are 6" @ 25 yards, slow-fire. Ammo doesn't seem to matter, tried Speer 230 & 200gr+P, WWB, UMC, Wolf (all 230gr ball) and 185gr SWC reloads. Groups are centered well, but 6" spread. Maybe it's me, maybe the pistol? Only time will tell. But it's been 100% reliable since the initial fix:)

BTW, this is a stainless Champion, steel frame, and all the "loaded" bells & whistles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ingeniero1 said:
Background:
• It appears that there are fewer problems reported (at least here at the 1911 forums) with the SA Champions than there are with the Kimber Pro’s, so I have three questions:

1. Has it been your experience that the SA Custom Loaded Champion are essentially trouble-free and dependable? (Leaving room for exceptions…)

2. What sort of accuracy do you get with the Champion’s 4” barrel? (OK to compare it with 5” barrel models.)

3. Does anyone use an SA Loaded Champion for IPDA, and if so, how do you like for this purpose?

Thanks!

Alex
Well Alex,
I have had my SA champion for almost 2 years now and is my daily carry and here is how I feel about mine.

1. It had teething problems at first, would eat all ball ammo but was picky about HP's. polished the feed ramp and now devaurs HP's like a kid with candy.

2. Accuracy is good, I am very consistant with 2-1 drilles at 10,15 and 20 feet. Can't give you a defanit size but it is in the 3" to 3.5" range.
Down side is I have the 2 piece barrel and the seam is showing. (going to replace it soon)

3. I did IDPA for about 6 months with a Ruger 9mm before work got in the way. If and when I get back into IDPA, I will be using the SA.

Side note, My wifes son had picked up a Kimber 5" about a month before I got my SA. I still have my SA, he got rid of the Kimber after about a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had my Loaded Stainless Champion for about 6 months now, and I use it for CCW and at the range.

Reliability - I had 1 FTE (stovepipe) during break-in, but it's been flawless since then (1000+ rounds). Feeds various FMJ and JHP (230gr. Golden Saber & SXT JHPs) 100 % reliably.The only gripe I have is the 2-piece guiderod loosens up when the slide is cycled, but loctite should fix that.

Accuracy - I'm not much of a marksman, but it is at least as accurate as any of the other pistols I own (all CZ's). No complaints here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i'm also curous about this weopon. I'm looking for my first 1911 which will be a CCW and used in IDPA events. I found a source that will get me one new for $650 which is more than i had planned to spend but its such a good deal i cannt really pass it up (had been looking at Daly's). The poor accuracy is disapointing considering the reports i read on some of the Daly's which are considered an inferior weopon by many. Hopefully more people chime in to say how wonderfully theirs shoot.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Search this forum for Champion.

I have said it before, and continue to tell whoever will listen, that this is the single best 1911 carry pistol for the money that I've ever had.
My Mimber was way too light for the loads I like to shoot, and "felt wrong" to me, and I sold it. My commander was picky about magazines to the point of being really annoying. The Smith and Wesson variant has front serrations, which are downright ugly, and the SA Champion stainless is everything I could want. It's planty accurate for IDPA, and I have shot with it a few dozen times. I've got thousands of trouble-free rounds through mine. I use 7 round flush fitting mags with flat, dinmpled follower (GI mags or Tripp rebuilds, but for $6, the GI mag has yet to be beat, and the 30 or so that I have are all good to go.)
I shoot IDPA, bowling pin, "survivor", and just about whatever you could want with this gun, and carry it in really crappy environments. It's fantastic!
Get this gun and enjoy. The very minor problems I've had over the years with mine have all been easy, fast fixes. It's never been down or out of rotation as a carry gun for me. I've had to replace the recoil spring a few times, but it's really been preventive maintenace, and never out of need.
Best part? All stainless 1911 that you can carry IWB easily for $630.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I use a Champion in IDPA, it's only problem was after about a year of use it needed a new extractor, replaced it with a good aftermarket one and it's been running ever since. It's a great pistol for IDPA, IMHO, points well, clears the holster quickly and shoots better than I can.

·
Registered
158 Posts
steveracer said:
Best part? All stainless 1911 that you can carry IWB easily for $630.
where are you finding them for $630? Is that new? Shoot me a PM if need be.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have mine for six months now, SS loaded. Close to 4k rounds. Haven't replaced the recoil spring assembly. Last week it was doing something odd. Fresh cartridge chambered but the extractor was "hooking" on the rim. It was behind the cartridge. This happened three times during the 150 rounds session. Oh, I must mention that I was using my reloads using 200gr semi-wadcutter.

anyone know why?

thanks
PX

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got mine four years ago...

...In VA Beach at The Armory for $630. Prices in your area are maybe higher, but you should find them new for less than $700.

·
Registered
147 Posts
PX,
It could be your OAL on the cartridges is too short. This can be a problem with SWC's in particular. So your cartridges are sorta slopping all around when in the magazine and not feeding properly.
Try cycling (or shooting) some factory 230gr ball and see if the problem stops. If you're reloading those SWC's try seating those bullets out more.

Sgt Cap,
My champion loaded (stainless frame/slide & tritium sights) was $700 after a new set of grips + $10 background check. I probably paid too much, but oh well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have owned my loaded champion for three years now. I use it for carry. I used it for a while as my IDPA and my IPSG Limt10 gun. I now use it everyonce in a while as a competion just to keep it moving. I have had a problem with the slide stop and some peening on the slide where the slide recess is. I have no problems every it feeding in left handed bill drills or aimed timed fire. I get roughly 2" groups off hand at 15 yards. It is slightly stiffer in trigger thatn my trophy match, but that is ok.

Recently I put it away very wet from the Louisinna sweat. I traveled away due to hurricane issues, and when I go it, the plunger had frozen and the pistol was RUSTY:barf: :barf:

Not bad for a stainless pistol, but I cleaned most of it off with a brass brush and now itis running smoothly again and I learned a lesson about sweat and stainless.

I had SA cut 20 LPI front strap serrations. It is very aggressive, but it is a grip I love. To the point that my other pistols now sport that checkering.

I love it and use it daily.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
steveracer said:
you should find them new for less than $700.
If you can find them for that cheap, you are getting a really good deal on them. The MSRP on the SA Champion is in the $865-$922 range. I paid $800 for mine new and didn't complain about it once I saw MSRP on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts