1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a C7 and a C8, both of which consistently fail to eject 3-5% of the time. This is with factory hardball, a variety of top-drawer mags, and experimentation with different-strength recoil springs. I sent them back to Baer, then to my local smith (no 1911 slouch), and finally to the estimable Don Williams, but the problems persist. I have a CC that runs fine, but based on my experience Baer's Commander-sized pistols are seriously flawed and I'm done with them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I fully understand and greatly appreciate your frustration.

However I must ask, since you've seem to have taken all of the right steps to have all of the possible mechanical weaknesses looked at, have you had a good shooting instructor look at your shooting technique while you are shooting these pistols? It could be that your "limp wristing" every once in a while which would cause the FTE in both pistols. Or you let one of your good shooting buddies but a couple of hundred rounds through it and if he/she didn't have any problems that would also indicate an problem with your technique....... :) And yes, the shorter barreled pistols are much more sensitive to limp wristing then a full 5", irrespective of the Mfg.....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've thought of that and anything is possible, but I've been shooting for 20 years and have had a fair amount of instruction.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
However I must ask, since you've seem to have taken all of the right steps to have all of the possible mechanical weaknesses looked at, have you had a good shooting instructor look at your shooting technique while you are shooting these pistols? It could be that your "limp wristing" every once in a while which would cause the FTE in both pistols. Or you let one of your good shooting buddies but a couple of hundred rounds through it and if he/she didn't have any problems that would also indicate an problem with your technique....... :) And yes, the shorter barreled pistols are much more sensitive to limp wristing then a full 5", irrespective of the Mfg.....
The limp wristing explanation is iffy at best. Yes, it relies on recoil and action of the slide to feed and eject, but unless you have a wrist that is as giving as a well oiled, loose metal hinge (not going to happen with the tendons, bone and muscle that it is constructed from and interacts with) I believe a limp wrist isn't the source of any problems. Notice I said source, because I believe it may exacerbate already existent problems with the pistol.

There are a few fellows that can fire the 1911 (and other recoil operated pistol) upside down pulling the trigger with the pinky and have no malfunctions. Others have done simple range tests (including me) holding the pistol as lightly as possible (but tight enough not to lose control of the weapon) with no problems. Unless he is restricting the slide significantly with friction, my opinion is that there is still something wrong with the gun, not him.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
This is an interesting discussion to me. I have a LB Premier II that I purchase on consignment about a week ago and have only had the chance to fire it once. I found that I had to adjust my grip lower than usual because I would inadvertantly hit the right side safety and lock the action. I was told by LB (not directly but from staff) that most people put their thumb on top of the extended safety during fire. I tried that dry firing but unless I really grip tightly I can not release the grip safety. My point is grip has something to do with my malfunction, maybe not yours though. I am thinking of sending it back to LB to change to a single safety because it really doesn't feel right the way I'm holding it. The other issued is my right hand was injured years ago and my grip isn't what it used to be.

Sorry, if I am hijacking the thread.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I shoot left-handed and my left thumb rides below the weak-side safety lever, so that isn't the problem for me.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Did either your local smith or DonW test fire the gun before returning it to you? Do others who shoot the gun see the same issues?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
...based on my experience Baer's Commander-sized pistols are seriously flawed and I'm done with them.
Sorry to hear that you have two that aren't running right.

I had a Concept X that was utterly, boringly reliable. I removed the shock buff that came with it after it was broken in as a matter of defensive gun preference, but it ran fine with it.

The further away we get from JMB's original five inch, steel design, the more likely we are to run into trouble of one sort or other. But it seems very odd to have two Comanche-length guns that won't eject properly.

I'd be curious to know what the response from LB was, and from Don Williams, for that matter.

Based on that, you might want to see whether Bob Rodgers has the time to tackle one or both of them for you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did either your local smith or DonW test fire the gun before returning it to you? Do others who shoot the gun see the same issues?
Both test fired them without problems, but they only ran thru a couple mags and at a 5% failure rate I'm not sure what that says.

·
Registered
117 Posts
commander sized LB's = :barf:
full sized LB's = :rock:
Interesting point of view Love.

If you would please, I am interested in your data.

How many commander sized LBs have you experience with?
What was the issue in particular?
How were your data obtained?
Was your data gleaned from Design Of Experiment or did you pull it out of your azz?
Is it actually something you know or something someone else thinks they know and you read it somewhere?

Please tell.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I can't figure out why or how Baer wouldn't know how to build a Commander....that's odd. However, 5 rounds out of a 100 is not confidence inspiring.

Why "skip" machining needed to use the correct dimensions? Look at how anal Baer is at so much of their work and they are going to shortchange the shorter gun?

Not likely. Something else simple is going on. Very simple I bet.

I bet it(them) runs fine with the right mags. I would try Checkmate/Colt new production for starters(forget the other big names...for now) with factory loaded FMJ and JHP and get the feed controlled as intended as a starting point. I've done some serious reading lately on that subject and it has helped me immensely. I have always wondered why my stock newer Colts always ran so well with all their stock mags and why those mags always worked in mag fussy guns.

Thankfully there are some smart folks out there to explain why. I would suggest a search on magazine feed, timing and the different lips, followers and springs.

How can 3 top smiths not make it work 100% ? That's not plausible. Did THEY send it back saying "no problem found?" or what did each do? Did they experience it with your ammo and mags?

To effectively work this out a baseline has to be established by the owner.

All testing must be equal, not random, same ammo, same gun, same maintenance. The simple problem has as simple solution and that solution lies in some overlooked detail.

Are the malfuncs random? If not, which rounds are the problem...in the middle of the mag, bottom.etc.....

Please keep us posted...I am really curious because my wife is interested in a Commander sized Baer and that's one person I don't want to buy a "bad design" for.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I don't know. I have 3 Commanche size Baers. A Stinger a Mono Commanche and a Custom Carry Commanche.

All three run just as well as all of my full size Baers!! I've not had any of the issues some folks are mentioning.

I guess maybe a lemon gets through but maybe they just need more shooting......

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I have had many more failures with my Ed Brown than with my Kimber.

Ed Brown pukes
Kimber rocks

"Interesting point of view Love.

If you would please, I am interested in your data.

How many Browns do you have you experience with?
What was the issue in particular?
How were your data obtained?
Was your data gleaned from Design Of Experiment or did you pull it out of your azz?
Is it actually something you know or something someone else thinks they know and you read it somewhere?

Please tell."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hammond

Ed Brown/Kimber thing was tongue in cheek comment. Making a joke about people who state facts based on opinion that is not backed by data.

Sorry to anyone who is offended. I was a little put off by what appeared to me to be a child like comment about commander sized Baers being :barf:

Then I read a link given by someone else to support the "problem" commander sized LBs have and discovered that someone with a second hand gun of unknown (other than the owner "said") history had issues and several people's diagnosis was "commander" size. Made me laugh.

My problem, my bad, just can't seem to control myself when I see opinions and guesses and internet hearsay being touted as fact.

Maybe LB commander size is :barf: I just prefer to see real data.

I only have a handful of posts on the internet, so I know very little. The experts are those who post the most.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I doubt you have any experience with either.
you are wasting everyones time.
Joey, That statement is a prime example of what makes me laugh. You "doubt" based on what?

I can't possibly waste "everyone's" time, because YOU obviously had enough time to respond.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Here are some things I have no experience with.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts