1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Apology in advance: not sure if this belongs here or the "gunsmithing" forum).

I did some trigger work on my S&W 1911; it actually came out pretty good for a first time effort... trigger breaks at 3.5 lbs with no noticeable creep.

After I reassembled it, the thumb safety wil drop
when the trigger is pulled. I recall reading a fix for this but don't recall what it was.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
JJF3 said:
...........After I reassembled it, the thumb safety wil drop
when the trigger is pulled. I recall reading a fix for this but don't recall what it was.
Other than fitting a new thumb safety you may be able to place the current thumb safety in a vice and peen the metal with properly executed hammer blows. It will move some metal in the right direction to block the sear when re-inserted. Gotta' know where to peen though. I assume that you do.

If not, then take to FNG. I can't draw a picture of how to do this or find a picture that would demonstrate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your best bet is to replace the safety, unless you have the skills and equipment to add metal to the lug. I replace the safety whenever I do a trigger job on a 1911. Make sure you're done with the sear and hammer work before fitting the safety, or you'll wind up back where you started.

Obviously, in the meantime that gun is not safe to carry, keep loaded, or use in a match.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I suspect you have more problems than that. Assuming everything worked before, and you are using the same hammer, safety, and sear, the only way the sear could disengage would be that you have cut the hammer notch back far enough for the sear to disengage before it contacts the safety.

What you have done effectively, is to destroy the relationship between the hammer, the sear, and the safety. DO NOT replace or try to fix the safety; it is probably OK. DO buy a new hammer and be content with using light stoning and some reduction of the full cock notch. Don't cut the notch deeper.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts