1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a SW1911 with a thumb safety that seems to switch off with too little pressure. With the slide on, the bottom corner of the safety does not fully clear the plunger tube detent (top image). Is the detent supposed to engage the concave area under the corner, as it does with the slide removed (bottom image)?

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Thank you so much for the high quality photos! I would have to say that your safety is properly fitted. It is easy to see in your fine illustrations that the detent feature of the safety lever is past the apex of the plunger. This I believe is entirely correct. The fact that the thumb safety over travels somewhat with the slide removed is also correct.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Correction!

I asked Rick B to qualify my reply and he was nice enough to do so:

If the "feel" is too light, then I'd say he should recontour the front edge of the safety, so the plunger is more "around the corner", rather than sort of resting on the point; my guns, when the safety is on, look more like his pic of the gun with the slide removed. It looks like his slide rides somewhat more forward than usual, which prevents the safety from rotating up just a bit more.

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
That's what I did to mine which had the same problem. Since it is stainless it was pretty easy to re-polish it when done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts