1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did all you know that the thumb safety on the lda is the same as those on sa 1911's. took my lda apart the other day to put olive drab brownells paint stuff on the frame and learned a good lesson. first . this paint stuff is great , i've put over 1000 rounds thru it and its still on the frame rails. second . the lda is pretty simple to disassemble and reassemble, its a little harder than a sa but if you can do a sa don't even hessitate to take the lda apart. and back to the safety , they are identicle. i've been wanting an extended for the lda but couldn't find one, turns out there the same. to change the safety, empty gun and rack the slide, wiggle the safety as you push it up to engage it and it pulls out just like the sa does. the grip safety will fall out when it is removed. it goes back in opposite order , the only problem i had was i had to wiggle it some to get it back in place but once i did it a few times i learned the proper wiggle to get it back in. hope this helps alot of you if you've been wanting an extended safety. don't hesitate to try this , it's simple. kelly floyd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info. Para is a bit hesitant to give out info on LDA parts interchangibility with 1911 SAs. Did I understand you to say that you can get the thumb safety and the grip safety out by just racking the slide and that the slide does not have to be removed from the frame and the mainspring housing can also be left in place?

------------------
Ray K - Para 14.45 LDA & P12.45

·
Registered
5 Posts
The thumb safety on the LDA is NOT identical to the sa Colt.It is .04 of an inch shorter and has a slightly different profile.If you attempt to use an sa thumb safety,without any modifications,you could run into functional problems. Just my $.02

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rayk. yes you can remove them without removing the slide. and tedoo7 i've shoot about 2000 rounds thru mine with out a single malfunction and i also took it out and miked it and it is the exact same deminsions as the sa. as for the profile , i can't make mine fire with the safety on . isn't that the whole point. kelly floyd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rayk . the mainspring houseing can also be left on. the only thing that the safety holds on is the grip safety. kelly floyd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts