1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really can't do a search right now cuz I'm on the Williamsburg bridge stuck in traffic as I'm doing this...is the thumb safety supposed to be able to be put up in safe mode while the hammer is at half cock? I have a WC thumb safety on my NHC that I fitted myself and I can switch it up into safe mode when in half cock. is that wrong? asides from that, everything else functions flawlessly after 500 rounds...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ask because I am fitting another WC safety on a custom build and I got the thumb safety to only be flipped up during full cock. for some reason I cant get it to go up in half cock. I thought about this and decided to put the file down take a few days off from that project and find out what is proper.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so is my NHC screwed then? the original safety did the half cock safety on thing as well.

does it depend on the hammer? or should I just get a new safety?

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
No, there is nothing wrong with your pistol. Some will some won't. The reason is dependent on the depth of the full cock compared to the half cock. If the same the thumb safety will flip up, if not it won't. Also the moon cut in the hammer base will allow some and others not. Either way isn't of consequence, unless waking up in the middle of the night and worrying about it is. :)

LOG

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you guys for all the helpful info. i guess it was a case of worrying too much. with all that being said, i am guessing i am finished with my custom build since the safety works perfectly in all aspects minus the "safety on half cock" thing that my NHC does.

:rock:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Perfectly normal. Recently purchased a new NH T4 that allows TS engagement in half-cock or full cock. My Rep at NH checked about a dozen pistols, some on the bench and others about to go out the door. Same behavior on all.

Research indicates that many lightened high end hammers are set-up this way. It's not the TS.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i consider wilson combat high end and i am using a WC lightweight bulletproof hammer/WC bulletproof ambi thumb safety and it doesn't perform that action.

am i wrong for considering WC and those parts as being high end? those specific parts sure as hell carry the price tag!

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
As usual, log man hits a home run with a perfect reply.

We are fortunate to have him as a Forum regular. His posts qualify as a permanent "sticky" by themselves IMHO.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
i consider wilson combat high end and i am using a WC lightweight bulletproof hammer/WC bulletproof ambi thumb safety and it doesn't perform that action.

am i wrong for considering WC and those parts as being high end? those specific parts sure as hell carry the price tag!
Wilson parts are, exactly as you're perceiving, definitely top tier. You are right ... Not wrong. The machining from barstock is the main reason for the higher price tag. Most other manufacturer's small parts are fabricated with less expensive techniques.

When combining different manufacturer's parts, of course, the compatibility of fit becomes critical. If two parts don't match up with each other, there is a problem, regardless of quality. I understand that this might not be pertinent to your specific components here (hammer and safety), but it is an important consideration in the bigger picture of a custom build project.

From my time on the Wilson sub-section of the Forum, its my understanding that Wilson parts are generally designed to match well with JMBs original dimensional specs ... and function in the same way. Not all 1911 manufacturers take that perspective, which has consequences that may be positive or negative in a given situation. Wilson parts tend to be sized for custom fitting (with sufficient material present), rather than drop-in fitting (of a fractionally undersized part), so be sure that nothing is improperly binding.

If you have a remaining question about Wilson parts (or if I've not answered your question), I'd like to invite you to visit the Wilson subsection of the Forum.

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
What "action" does it fail to preform?

LOG

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
As Log and I said, it's not the TS. You replaced the TS on the NH but not the hammer. The NH will continue to engage the TS at half-cock whether a Wilson TS, the original NH thumb safety, or any other properly functioning TS. Again, a Nighthawk lightened hammer allows TS engagement at half-cock and Wilson hammer does not. Neither behavior is related to quality of parts.

On your custom build you said you used a Wilson hammer. Wilson hammers do not allow engagement of the TS at half cock which again is normal behavior for that part.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Thanks for helping out here Jimsea ... I answered as far as my knowledge allowed and you've helped to hopefully complete the answer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As Log and I said, it's not the TS. You replaced the TS on the NH but not the hammer. The NH will continue to engage the TS at half-cock whether a Wilson TS, the original NH thumb safety, or any other properly functioning TS. Again, a Nighthawk lightened hammer allows TS engagement at half-cock and Wilson hammer does not. Neither behavior is related to quality of parts.

On your custom build you said you used a Wilson hammer. Wilson hammers do not allow engagement of the TS at half cock which again is normal behavior for that part.
I see...said the blind man. thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts