1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit of background, I have many 1911's and have never had this situation before. On one of my Dan Wessons, a Valor, I had been getting an occasional hammer drop to the to the mid notch when dropping the slide on a magazine with shells in it. I had stoned the sear before, and set the trigger pull to 3lb10 oz. While this always bothered me, I really didn't shoot this much so put if off for awhile. I had a little free time yesterday and decided to put a little more tension on the sear to try and correct it, but knew it probably wasn't really the issue. Once I got it up to about 5lbs it held, but at that point figured the problem was really the sear, and that I probably had taken a little too much off this one, and decided to replace it with a spare one I had laying around. Did a very minor stoning on the spare, put it in, tweaked the spring a bit and ended up at 3.9lb. Everything seemed fine, no sign of hammer drop. Cycled the pistol a bunch of times and all seemed good so I went out back to shoot a few rounds with it. Right away had issues with it working for a shot then not firing with a two hand hold. Wiggled the thumb safety a bit and it seemed to be rising about a 1/32"- 1/16". Would work after pressing down again. Keep in mind this is the first time this has happened to me with 1911's in the over 20 years I have been shooting them. Tried a one hand hold, all was fine. Took out a few other of my 1911's to compare the feel of the thumb safety when down and while most of my other ones seemed to click in a little more solid in the down position, although a couple others felt similar to my Wesson Valor in that even though there was tension on the thumb safety in the fire position, you could wiggle it up and down that 1/16" or so with less effort than some of the others. So I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any Ideas? I looked up a couple of youtubes, and it seems to be a simple procedure to work on the thumb safety to make it work, but am wondering if anyone has any idea on how to firm up the click on it first before I go and remove material from the thumb safety if it is not really needed. I did shoot it some more and it seems to be working, so obviously seems to be working on the ragged edge, but would like to make it right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think there may be a couple things going on here. For the first sear, can you describe the method you used to stone it and which angle(s) you stoned? Based on the limited info you provided, it sounds like your diagnosis of a sear problem is accurate.

Regarding the second sear, again, please describe the stoning done. More importantly, when installing a new or different sear into a gun it will change the engagement with the thumb safety’s fitting pad based on several factors.

If I’m reading this correctly then your thumb safety got more stiff or tougher to engage and disengage. You likely have a decent problem to fix that might not require you to purchase a new thumb safety.

Take a look at Jason Burton’s thumb safety fitting video. This may be helpful for you.

youtu.be/9zF3xCZ6CrE

… X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As to the sear jig, I used a Marvel jig, as I have used many times in the past. Angle is as set from factory if I remember, as I haven't done a sear in years, and I haven't shot this Wesson in quite a while. My thinking was that I may have stoned the origonal sear a little too much when I first did it. On the replacement one that I stoned slightly, and installed, it probably was a Wesson stock one, or one from one of my other 1911's, not sure, but looked like of my Wesson ones. I have replaced some with some Egw's. I realize that thumb safety sometimes take some fitting, but till this, I haven't experienced that to be necessary in the ones I have worked on. Also as to the stiffness of the thumb safety, I guess I didn't explain that well enough, it didn't get stiffer, it actually became less stiff. Still will click solidly when pushed up, but in the off position it can move up and down quite easily about 1/16", and when moving up that 1/16" or so after firing, it won't fire next shot all the time. So I haven't done any prior fitting on the safety ever, and because of that hoping and thinking I shouldn't need a new one. What I really want to accomplish is to have the thumb safety click more solidly in to the down position as right now it will move up and down that 1/16" quite easily, then not fire if up about 1/16". I'll check out the YouTube later tonight.

·
Premium Member
14,904 Posts
I sounds as If you are not shooting with thumbs high, and is fine. What can and it sounds as if when the TS is left free it can rise up either due recoil and to a thumb under or the relief of the TS is getting bumped by the sear and rises up enough to cause problems. Increasing the dimple in the down position can help as well as increasing the Valley of the TS lug.

LOG

Reactions: drail

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I've never had this issue before in all my years of 1911 shooting, with not only my many 1911's, but others as well. I have shot about 30 or so more shots with this this after posting, and am not having the issue now, but safety still wiggles a bit in the down position, but does seem to have a little better feel. I think it's time to just take it apart and have a good look, not only at the safety, but how it's interacting as well.
We'll update, I took it apart again to look at everything, and looks as though it was the dimple. Where the pin would slide out of the dimple, there was a grove wore in to the point there was only about half the depth of the dimple working. Just took a 3/32" I think, drill bit and barely touched it, till I saw a shaving develop. Safety is nice and solid now and not moving off that detent unless you push on it. Only thing I can think of as to why it got better after shooting it a bit was there must have been a slight burr there after working on the sear and that quickly wore off.
Thanks everyone, I really sppreciate all your help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A short update. Thought everything was OK, but it wasn't. Shot a few more shots this afternoon, and I had a few more occasional fail to fires on second or 3rd rounds. As I had already made the thumb safety click in solidly in the off position, I went looking elsewhere. 1st I backed off the trigger over travel screw apx 1/8 turn, then filed and stoned off .008 from the hammer clearing flat on the thumb safety. Actually took about .004 off first, then took another .004 off. Everything seems to be fine now. We'll see with some long term use, as I'll probably shoot this one for a bit to be sure it's ok. I'm pretty fortunate in that I have a range on my property.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
If you are not an experienced gun smith, working on the fire control parts is not easy to get the proper sear to hammer hook geometry. Even if you do get everything right, you may have to get and fit a new thumb safety if it will not properly block the hammer and sear. It might be best to send your pistol to Dan Wesson or a gunsmith that has the experience to fix the issues and allow a safe and reliable result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts