1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know a link to schematics or pictures of just how (and where) the thumb safety blocks sear movement in a 1911? What I'm looking for is like the diagrams on m1911.org showing the relationship of the trigger parts. but showing the thumb safety cam relationship to the sear. Tried a search here but came up with nada.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Here's one.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Atilla,

WITH THE GUN UNLOADED!!!

If you remove the only grip safety, you can see exactly what is happening. A new safety may need to be trimmed so that it just slipps past the sear when in the on position. There should only be a small clearence between the safety cam and the sear when the safety is full on. The clearence should be just enough to allow the safety cam to slip past the sear, but small enough to prevent all but the smallest sear movement when the trigger is pulled with the safety on. In my opinion not more than .003 inch, .000 is even better.

When ever you do any work on the lock works be sure to perform a full safety check before the gun is loaded next.

Missed

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sawbones- that helps a lot. I was having a hard time visualizing the relationship between the parts in 3-D.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
"There should only be a small clearence between the safety cam and the sear when the safety is full on."

I am not sure about the definition of a "small clearance", but I would say "no clearance". The safety in the "on" position should not allow ANY movement of the sear. If it does, trigger reset could fail.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts