1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking everywhere, and can't find any info on my problem.

I have an Enhanced S80MKIV and was recently detail stripping it to get it squeaky clean, and the slide came apart perfectly, no problems.

Then I get to the frame...I followed the instructions found on here and depressed the grip safety, removed the mainspring housing, and then with the grip safety depressed(as told to do in the disassemble instructions) I cocked back the hammer, moved the thumb safety up and then... nothing, it won't come out of the frame:confused:

someone correct me if I'm doing something wrong, but I followed the instructions to a T, maybe they're wrong? I'd like to detail strip it so I can get it nice and clean, and to make sure that everything is in good condition(I bought it used and I have never detail stripped it, kept it squeaky clean otherwise, there is a pic in the COLT section of the forum for anyone who wants to see it)

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Premium Member
14,634 Posts
The thumb safety comes out in a mid position and with the hammer cocked. The thumb safety should be the first part removed and the last installed as that way the sear spring will be holding the sear in position.

LOG

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Now you need to be able to get it back on w/o marring the frame...

Here's a method that works well:

1) Get Q-tip - the type with the blue plastic bodies, not the white cardboard ones. Clip one end off. Leave the cotton swab on the other end; it makes it easier to grip.

2) You now have a perfect tool to slide under the thumb safety and depress the plunger while you press and wiggle it back in. Lay the gun on a towel or such on a flat surface, insert the plunger assembly.

3) Insert the thumb safety, then slide the Q-tip body under the TS to depress the plunger. Press down on the TS, and once the plunger is retained by the TS, remove the Q-tip and it all snaps nicely into place.

You can do this with other techniques, special tools, or even a small screwdriver once you know how to do it and have steady hands. But this technique will keep you from marring a blue gun when you are first trying to do it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, that Q-tip trick works pretty well.

I'm now proud to say my gun is good as new, and man, did it need a deep cleaning...Lots of crap in the nooks and crannies, especially in the slot where the extractor goes.

But now all is well, a detail strip and a good cleaning really seems to make a difference in functionality, every thing runs smoother:rock:

And not to mention the feeling of accomplishment from fully disassembling and reassembling my gun for the first time

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You bet, now for some reason I have an itch to install a new trigger in it:biglaugh:
Perhaps a nighthawk custom, or an STI or SVI trigger, I'm not sure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts