1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you know a thumb saftey is effectively blocking the sear other than testing by pulling the trigger? Is there a chance for malfunction?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Attempting to dry fire is the true proof of the pudding, but you can view the engagement of the safety lug to the sear by assembling the gun minus the grip safety. I'm not sure what your second question alludes to, but the answer is most likely yes! :scratch:

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You want to cock the hammer. Put the safety on. Pull the trigger.

Now, here's the real test. Keep the pistol cocked. Put the pistol up to your ear. Pull the hammer back slowly (past the currently cocked position). Do you hear a tiny "click"? If so, that is your sear springing back against the hammer hooks as you relieve tension on it by over-cocking, and that is BAD. There should be NO sear movement at all (no "click") when you pull back on the cocked hammer with the safety on.

If you do hear a tiny "click", time to buy a new thumb safety - or weld up the lug on your current one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shane45-1911 said:
You want to cock the hammer. Put the safety on. Pull the trigger.

Now, here's the real test. Keep the pistol cocked. Put the pistol up to your ear. Pull the hammer back slowly (past the currently cocked position). Do you hear a tiny "click"? If so, that is your sear springing back against the hammer hooks as you relieve tension on it by over-cocking, and that is BAD. There should be NO sear movement at all (no "click") when you pull back on the cocked hammer with the safety on.

If you do hear a tiny "click", time to buy a new thumb safety - or weld up the lug on your current one.
Now Shane45 you had me worried for a monent "Put pistol up to your ear" but then I got it!!! :p I do not hear a "click" but Like John said I will take it down and take a look. Thanks to the both of you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts