1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new CustomII and twice now while carry i have found the thumb saftey dissengaged. It makes me a little nervous when this happens, is there anything anyone can suggest i might do or should have a gunsmith look at it and/or change the saftey out.

Thanks, DAB1.

·
Registered
724 Posts
DAB1, you might suggest that he stretch the detent spring or deepen the detent dent on the safety. I`m sure he will know a sure cure. Bob

·
Registered
445 Posts
DAB1 said:
I have a new CustomII and twice now while carry i have found the thumb saftey dissengaged.
Does the safety, when engaged or disengaged (purposefully) click on and off? How are you carrying it?

·
Banned
141 Posts
DAB1 said:
I have a new CustomII and twice now while carry i have found the thumb saftey dissengaged. It makes me a little nervous when this happens, is there anything anyone can suggest i might do or should have a gunsmith look at it and/or change the saftey out.

Thanks, DAB1.
I'd look closely at the holster you are carrying it in. I have one holster where the mag catch gets easily depressed and mag just pops out. Quite embarassing when this happened the first time, I always check holsters since. Now I'm carrying in Fobus paddle holster (non rotating) and Blade-tech holster is on its way. Too bad that quality leather holsters for 1911 are scarce here :(

That said, if you have a good safe holster (that will not allow the gun to fall and that covers the trigger completely), you can carry cocked and unlocked and nothing will happen.

As others said, check if the safety "clicks" (OK) or if it moves freely (maybe the problem) ...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd also suggest you consider your holster and carry method before you decide to alter the gun. I had this concern too with a Compact. But, the problem went away with a change of holster to something better designed.

I'd only tinker with the gun after I was convinced it wasn't the holster. I learned that my Kimber doesn't like the thumb break holster that I first carried it in. Some finer holsters also have a detent molded in that helps hold the safety in place (see Milt Sparks VM-II)

RJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. i've been wanting to try the VM-2,could be the holster i'm using because its a cheep one. the saftey does have a click so i thank i'll order a VM-2 to try first

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had similar occurances. What I did was to replace the extended safety with a standard safety and this corrected the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts