1911Forum banner

thumb safty install norinco 1911

792 5
thumb safety install norinco 1911

hi guys I just bought a chip mccormic extened thumb safety. it states may require some fitting. I am mechanicaly inclined but new to 1911's I do all my own work on S&W and colt revolvers. I was planning on putting this on my nork 1911. I willing to bet I will see what need done when it arives. but I am courious what all is needed to fit the safty? the only thing I can think of is maybe the pin might be slightly larger and need fitted. what else need done. any tips on fitting it. thanks guys
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,900 Posts
I am hell on wheels explaining where to file and such (can do it but cannot explain)...so I'll not do that.
You can look at the factory Norc thumb safety and figure out the area that needs some light filing/stoning to fit (it usually is quite obvious)

Also the CMC part "should" provide some directions on fitting in the package

· Registered
453 Posts
Remove the the mainspring housing and grip safety so you can see the relationship of the thumb safety to the hammer and sear.
Slide the original thumb safety in and out a few times with the hammer and sear in the cocked position to see the correct fit, move it from the safe to fire positions to see how it works, then SLOWLY take the high spot on the new safety down until it fits in the gun. And you get that nice solid schnick-schnick operation.
A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY IN THIS DEAL,the difference between perfect and a junk part ain't much.
Don't ask how I know :rolleyes:
A little black marker on the surfaces that mate to each other will give you an idea of the contact surfaces high or low spots.
Good Luck I hope I explained this so you understand,I can fit the part faster and better than I can explain it.:scratch:

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot guys it helps the way it was explained was basicaly how i was going over it in my head. I know about a little goes along way with a mauser sporter I built. (The gun turned out fine but i did not like the fit of the low mount safty. it got pitched)

I will figger it out but would like some pointers so i know what mistakes not to make. thanks guys happy new year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.