1911Forum banner

Thunder Ranch .44 Still In Production?

1314 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  FLA45Fan
Hi, everybody--
I've been away from the forum for a while, and dropped by tonight looking for info on the Thunder Ranch .44 Special, which I'd like to start saving for. I don't see any posts on that gun; nor does S&W list it on their website. Has it ceased production?

Thanks!

--Brian
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Different version. The TR21 is .44spl. The TR22 is .45ACP.

The fact that CDNN is already liquidating the TR21 suggests it may be out of production. However, apparently S&W is producing a TR21 without the albatross side plate. I haven't seen any myself.

· Registered
3,099 Posts
The 21 is out of production.
The 22 will be made till demand slows down on it, S&W is estimating maybe 2500-3000 units.
After that, they're looking at a .45 Colt, and possibly a .44 Mag. Don't get all excited on the .44 Mag, that's just a possibility. During a conversation yesterday with S&W about calibers the word was "It's all up to Clint."
If you want a 21, better hurry & get with CDNN to see if they've got any left.
Denis

· Registered
37 Posts
Impact guns does have them, I have seen them in their shop. Also check CDNN, they had some for sale for a reasonable price. Also if you just want a normal M21 44 spec S&W will be doing them again soon. Check their website. They should be cheaper than the TR guns.

· Registered
3,099 Posts
Not sure I'd count on that.
S&W did make limited numbers of the 21 without the gold TR emblem.
The company views the guns as commemoratives, limited editions. As such, I can't see them producing two versions concurrently, that would tie up two production lines for an essentially low volume gun. No mention of returning to the .44 Special during communications with either S&W or Clint Smith.
The next caliber I heard from S&W is .45 Colt, as mentioned, and I'll give you a short word for word quote- "....probably the .45 Colt, and then maybe a
.44." "You mean another .44 Special?" "No, .44 Magnum. But, that's all up to Clint."
It's possible, I suppose, but if you want a 21, again I'd suggest you get it now.
Denis

· Registered
377 Posts
Model 21-4s are available

I posted a 'want to buy' on the S&W Forum and immediately got a response from a forum member who has a gun shop. It will be the plain jane version with no gold TR emblem. If you want one with the gold on it, they are all over the net at prices below $600. to as high as $850. Just have to go do it if you want it.

You'll never get S&W or Clint to admit it but the gold thing was a disastrous mistake! If you don't think so, take a look at the new 22-4:dope:

Bob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.