1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

First post for me, thanks for letting me come in.

I am looking at purchasing a "Thunder Ranch Special." What is a Les Bauer Thunder Ranch worth?

I like to buy used guns that are NIB or LNIB. What would a price range be?

Also, is there a ink, or can owners tell me of there experiences with this gun? Plusses and minus? Flaws? etc., etc..

I know this ia a NEWBIE question, but as an avid gun collector I have been ignoring 1911's since before the internet! I am kinda getting back into them, I ownly own 1 1911 style pistol and it is the Colt Officer.

Again, thanks, and be gentle with me!!

· Registered
1,305 Posts
Mateomasfeo said:
Hi all!

First post for me, thanks for letting me come in.

I am looking at purchasing a "Thunder Ranch Special." What is a Les Bauer Thunder Ranch worth?

I like to buy used guns that are NIB or LNIB. What would a price range be?

Also, is there a ink, or can owners tell me of there experiences with this gun? Plusses and minus? Flaws? etc., etc..

I know this ia a NEWBIE question, but as an avid gun collector I have been ignoring 1911's since before the internet! I am kinda getting back into them, I ownly own 1 1911 style pistol and it is the Colt Officer.

Again, thanks, and be gentle with me!!

+ Kart barrels--------------very accurate
+ forged frame and slide----fitted with approx. .001 or .002 clearance
+ availability---------------more available then most all other customs
+ consistency--------------from pistol to pistol consistent, a sign of precision made parts.

- none----------------------can't think of any at the moment

· Registered
735 Posts
Mateomasfeo

The Les Baer TRS is a great pistol and very hard to beat for quality and price. It was designed by Clint Smith of "Thunder Ranch" hence the name Thunder Ranch Special! and built by Les Baer and is now offered to all. Here are some links for you to look at.

Saint Louis Arms has by far the lowest prices I have seen on Baer's. Just go to the site, do a Les Baer gun search and look up the model you want @

www.saintlouisarms.com

Next there is an article on this gun that might interest you as well, @

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=5444

I also agree with mr white That is a great way of looking at it. Baer's are a great product and priced right. There are no corners being cut at the Baer shop!!

Good Luck. :)

· Registered
1,305 Posts
Mateomasfeo said:
Thanks Mr. White!

What about the Premieum ii? How does it compare? Which is more desirable?

I appreciate your previous post.
I think the TRS is the most desirable of the two but before the TRS the PII was it. In the old days you could find a lot of combat pistols with adjustable sights un-like now-a-day's.

My preference will be different then most on the forum but here goes.

1. Buy a concept II in stock from a dealer, remove the ambi safety, replace with short GI type and install a short solid trigger. This is my Baer bones combat pistol

or

2. Order a Baer the way you want and wait 3 months give or take.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

the CII has fixted sights and NO front strap treatment.

The premier II has adjustable sights, front strap checkering and is basically the same pistol as are all Baer pistols including the TRS.

· Registered
472 Posts
Trs

I currently have a TRS with about 6000 rounds through it. I have owned other 1911's and the TRS is my favorite. I have used it in IDPA and other pistol matches. It has never once malfunctioned while in competition. It is also very accurate. I would be confident that any of Les' pistols would be excellent. There is not a lot of difference between the Premiere II and the TRS.

· Banned
49 Posts
I also own a TRS that has functioned flawlessly. I have taken Handgun Levels 1-5 at Tactical Defense Institute and have easily run 5-6k through the TRS without one failure (knock on wood).

Upon clearing level 5, I rewarded myself by having the TRS and Barrel Hard Chromed by Tripp Research. I recently shot my first competition with USPSA using my newly Chromed TRS. While I watched the fancy speed guns fail time after time, my Baer cleared the four stages without a hiccup.

I am making my TRS my competition gun as I have just ordered the Stinger from Baer. The Stinger will become my carry piece. BTW, my TRS is as rock steady as it was when I forst got it. Only difference now is it is a little easier to field strip for cleaning.

Baer makes a quailty product. No choice here, Baer is it!!!

Peace!

· Registered
735 Posts
pajohnohio said:
I also own a TRS that has functioned flawlessly. I have taken Handgun Levels 1-5 at Tactical Defense Institute and have easily run 5-6k through the TRS without one failure (knock on wood).

Upon clearing level 5, I rewarded myself by having the TRS and Barrel Hard Chromed by Tripp Research. I recently shot my first competition with USPSA using my newly Chromed TRS. While I watched the fancy speed guns fail time after time, my Baer cleared the four stages without a hiccup.

I am making my TRS my competition gun as I have just ordered the Stinger from Baer. The Stinger will become my carry piece. BTW, my TRS is as rock steady as it was when I forst got it. Only difference now is it is a little easier to field strip for cleaning.

Baer makes a quailty product. No choice here, Baer is it!!!

Peace!

That's awsome! good report, I also wanted to ask if you would post on the Stinger when you get it after shooting a few hundred through her. I am thinking down the road of picking one up myself, but I don't know of anyone that has one. BTW I can pick an SS Stinger up from my FFL for $1509.00 that seems like a great price! :)

· Banned
49 Posts
Custom-guy said:
That's awsome! good report, I also wanted to ask if you would post on the Stinger when you get it after shooting a few hundred through her. I am thinking down the road of picking one up myself, but I don't know of anyone that has one. BTW I can pick an SS Stinger up from my FFL for $1509.00 that seems like a great price! :)
I ordered through Sporting arms and received a similar price. I think with Shipping it came to a total out the door price of 1565.00. I will post a full report in another few weeks after I receive her.

Peace!

· Registered
323 Posts
As a last note. Always remember to break the TRS in when you get one. Generally this process goes smoothly and I did not suffer any malfunctions even during this time. It just helps with making it a bit more managable to rack etc. They are super tight, accurate, dependable and keep on running.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
Since Les Builds to suit just anyone's needs, the phrase "most desirable" would depend on its intended purpose. As far as I know, Baer aren't really collectible like Colts. Their value is in the fact that they are highly reliable and accurate guns.

If you do a search on Stingers, you'll find plenty of info. I posted a range report on mine several months back. It is a fine defensive tool and work of mechanical art.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.