1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating on taking the defensive handgun class at Thunder Ranch for awhile but am a little sketchy about dropping $800 +airfare + ammo for a three day course. I'd like to hear some opinions and experiences from those who have actually taken classes there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Never been there, but have been to Gunsite, wonderful experience, inexpensive living costs, and great weather in the spring or fall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great course. I took it the last year that TR was in Texas. If you are in the Southeast I would also recomend Shootrite in Alabama, Tiger taught at TR and is on the TR links page.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Never been there, would like to go, have taken one of Gabe Suarz "Advanced Close range gun fighting", yes it was pricey, and yes I would do it in an instant again, so if their course is even close to his it would be money well spent.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Don't hesitate, it's worth the money.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Depends on what you think you will get out of it, what you expect, and what you think that is worth.

Myself I went. Took his carbine course. I literally did not learn anything I didn't already know about shooting or running a carbine. However, that's not why one goes. His perspective or mindset, his knowledge, the people you meet (really, some great people) and the little things that either promote or enhance good practices - those are the reasons to attend. As for really learning something, the take away for me was 1 mindset tip (more a run what you brung to the fight mentality - away from specialized gear) and 1 equipment tip (running twin white lights on my house carbine)- thats it. To me it was worth it.

Go with an open mind.

Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely look into taking one once I get back home. I just have to talk to the bank first (the wife).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts