1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see numerous Tier III and 1970 repro's for sale now. The price isn't a factor as the tier III is only a few hundred more. I think I will buy one or the other but not sure which one. I already have a Gold Cup so I've got a range gun, now I want a repro. I've considered a USGI but don't really know enough to buy one that is correct and unmolested. I also want to shoot this gun a bunch. Is the Tier III a series 70 or series 80? I like the looks of the Tier III more but I think I want a 70 series gun.

Which one would you rather have and why?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I bought the Tier 3 for the looks, as in the lack of A1 looks.

It's a great gun, and mine is frighteningly accurate for what it is. I was not expecting it to shoot as well as it does!

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
The Tier III does not have a firing pin safety.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Tier III it is.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Personally I dislike calling the Series 70s "repros". Technically they are 2nd generation S70s, like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Single Action Armies. Besides, the stainless version isn't a reproduction of anything, as they never made the 1st gen/originals in stainless steel except as prototypes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I owned one of the original/repro WW1's in the Carbonia blue. GREAT shooter but I got rid of it as Carbonia blue...well...it's now not a mystery to me why Colt came out shortly thereafter with the "Black Army" version. :) The Carbonia showed EVERY fingermark if it was not cleaned almost immediately. (Hey, I live on the edge of swamps, it's hot/humid here, and I sweat a lot :) ). Like I said though, GREAT shooter and VERY accurate.

My S70-SS is my favorite gun at the moment. Enough "old school" to keep me happy, in a finish I don't have to baby-sit daily. It too is more accurate than I can hold it, has MUCH better sights out of the box (although I've changed those out), and, perhaps luckily, eats every loading I've ever put through it including 185 grain "flying ashtrays".

It's not like you have a bad choice in front of you imo, no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Both

I got my EDC 2011 S70 repro (on top) 2 years ago and have put exactly 6057 flawless rounds through her since taking it out of the box. She is my trusted work horse.

I bought the ANV III in 6/2013 and have shot it in local IDPA. It has 1650 rounds through it and is completely reliable and amazingly accurate.

I enjoyed shooting my ANV III so much that I decided to turn my S70 into it's clone by putting a SA flat msh (complete with lanyard loop) and a Harrison long trigger on it! I won't part with the 10-8 brass bead front sight and low mount u-notch rear sight though. Now I have to talk myself out of putting a matching sight set on the ANV III! :p

image.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts