1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just shot the front sight loose on my Officers model. Whats the best way to tighten it back up (its staked on)?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm no authority on this, but I think you may need to re-stake it. Other thoughts that come to mind are silver solder and loc-tite (I think Red is the almost permanent stuff?).

Hopefully a real pro will chime in here with some better advice than I was able to provide.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Is it a dovtail or the standard stake in front sight?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Your best bet is to have someone dovetail the slide and put in a new sight.
I know others here say they like staked on sights and have had good luck with them but I have shot many a staked on Colt sight off. So I don't think it is worth fooling with them.

MIke

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I may just get some new sights and replace the old school blade sight on the back with some Novaks :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If you want to spend the money to have cuts made for the Novaks, they are definitely the way to go .... just a bit more costly. You may also look at Heinie sights, which are quite popular as well.

Good luck, and happy shootin'

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
After loosing a few, I first staked them in place, then had my nephew get out his mig welder and just touch the stake where it comes thru inside the slide. Nothing got hot, and never lost a front blade after that. But I would prefer a dovetail slot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts