1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to tighten SS frame/slide? Seems as though I rember reading that it's not recommended because SS will gall and you'll be right back to where you were, maybe worse with the galling. I also rember reading a post that said not to attempt to tighten NM slide, it's hardened and will not bend and will break. Gun in question is a Colt SS GC NM 80 series. It's got approx. .010 horizontal and .020+ vert. play. I can get .030 between the bottom of slide and top of dust cover without recoil spring.

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
713 Posts
4D5,
Call Joe Cominolli, Accu-rail East...the Accu-railing will solve your potential galling problem and give you a "dead nuts"slide to frame fit without beating on the rails and scarring up your gun! Also, now you have the basis for a very accurate pistol if you decide to upgrade to a matchgrade barrel and bushing. As the tool steel rails wear you can send the slide and frame back and they will fit a larger rail in 10 thousandth increments for a nominal fee...last I checked it was $35 for replacement rails. The Accu-railing itself is approx. $225 to $275 depending on what you do, extra rails, etc. Talk to Joe or Tom ...both very knowledgable...and I believe Joe is a member of the American Pistolsmith's Guild...If your gun doesn't measure out properly and will not Accu-rail well they will tell you rather than do a procedure just to do the work- very ethical fellows!
Oh, BTW, the last Custom I did in a Commander length barrel was accu-railed by Joe, and I fitted it w/a Nowlin Barrel. With a scope grip mounted and bench rested, it would cut a 1" hole with a full magazine of 8 at 25 yds.,(.45 Caliber-no flyers!). One of my better projects that went together perfect...(I was having a really good day-LOL).
Best Regards-Barry J.Greyson

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Accurails sound like the solution.That thing is LOOSE!Another option if possible is put on a carbon steel slide fit to the frame,and sell the slide to offset the cost.The most important thing is fit a good barrel to it(I'm sure it's a piss poor fit too).The barrel and bushing make up 80+% of your accuracy,the slide fit 15% tops.Yours does need to be improved though,20thou is 3 times general specs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts