1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to make my GI Champion a "classic" with the wide spur hammer and checkered flat MSH, etc.

Well, it bites. No I mean it bites bad. Blood, pain, tryed to tough it out...nah!

I can have the original hammer put back in, and having shot with that hammer a couple hundred rounds, it's not too bad, but....it's not how I "invisioned" it. So, I am now looking at my options.

I have a Wilson Combat commander hammer in my desk at home that has never been installed in a gun. I can pick up a Wilson drop-in Beavertail grip safety for $28'ish. This should make a much more comfortable shooter (less bloodshed anyways).

Then, if I go the beavertail/commander hammer route, I was thinking of changing the sights...

Need some input on the possible change and good/affordable sights.

Thanks, Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Feel your pain on the hammer bite!

Have you considered the commander hammer and the notched std grip safety?

I have the configuration on several pistols and I like it a lot. No big gap in the drop in grip safety to frame tang fit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks old-lefty. That looks pretty good. Does it fit in the hand like an original saftey or more like the hi-ride beavertail?

Is that a "drop-in" part?

Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread!

It is a standard mil spec grip safety with a notch cut. You can get them from Colt - Commander notched grip safety, 80 series or 70 series - either will work - it is a drop in.

The fit in your hand is the same as what you have now.

OR you can grid the notch in the grip saftey you have. If your pistol is parkerized - just use some cold blue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts