1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else read Charles Petty's column in AH about Unique? Could it be true: 50% cleaner?

Yeah, I'll probably plunk down the $ for a lb. just in case it's true. What can I say? I'm to powders what Imelda was to shoes.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've useed Unique on and off for years. Did't read the article but it is a very versatile powder. Always handy to keep a pound around.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've used Unique on and off for about 30 years. I can't swear about the 50% part, but I do believe that it is cleaner. I take what I read in the gun rags with a grain or two of salt since most of them have never seen a product they didn't like! Gotta keep those advertising dollars coming, you know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am using Unique right now and I can attest to the fact that it is 50% cleaner. I am getting great results. I found out about the new Unique after seeing the results in my 28ga skeet loads and being amazed at how clean it was. Here's a link to look at some of my targets and see my .45s reloads results with the new Unique.
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8932
[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 11-26-2001).]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bought a pound of it not long ago and noticed the label said "cleaner burning." After shooting quite a bit of it, I'd say it was no more or less dirty than 231 or Universal. I'll be buying more, that's for sure.

------------------
Steve333

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unique has always been a fine performer for me, but I never could get it to meter as accurately as I'd like. Have stayed with the ball-types over the years.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
A powder that meters as poorly as Unique is just not worth the trouble for me regardless if it can be used in darn near everything.

With that said, while Unique will never power another handgun load, I use it quite a bit in .308 and .303 cast bullet loads. hand weighing isn't too bad in smaller quantities.

I gave it a try with my 45-70 cast loads, but switched to IMR 3031.

I can't see any difference in how clean or dirty it is with rifle loads, but I just bought another 4 lb jug so I can keep checking.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I shot new Unique in .44 mag mid-range loads, and it was nice, very clean and accurate. I haven't loaded it yet in the .45, but I will.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Always keep at least one # on hand!

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts