1911Forum banner

Tisas 1911 carry bobtail 45scp

732 17
First post, also first 1911, surprisingly, I have way more rifles than pistols. I took my brothers advice, who is a pistol guy, and got a 1911.
Thank you for having me.
Rectangle Font Electronic device Wood Metal
Brown Wood Rectangle Comfort studio couch
Brown Wood Rectangle Comfort studio couch
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good choice!
I just purchased a Tisas stingray in 9mm
And have a Guardian by Dan Wesson . If nobody’s told you yet ,1911’s multiply quickly so make room in your safe .
[/QUOT

Yeah, when I was looking, I read like 5 thousand reviews, on all brands and price range. I’ve still got my eye on a couple, but first I have to get comfortable and good with this one……

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I don’t really like the ambidextrous safety, I find it gets in the way racking the slide a little, and hits my right index finger as I mess with it unloaded. I’m certainly going to shoot it as is for several hundred rounds, and see if I just get used to it. Haven’t even shot it yet……..

· Registered
227 Posts
Good choice IMHO. I bought a Sting-Ray first, but looked at the 45 in the case next to it. Darned if that thing didn't release some kind of nanobots or something into my bloodstream that made me go back a week or so later and get the 45 also.

The 45 is heavier than the Sting-Ray, with it's steel frame, but not enough to get worked up about. The trigger on mine breaks at 4.5 pounds consistently. I'm neutral on the ambidextrous safety. I probably would prefer to not have it, but since it's there, it can stay.

Air gun Sleeve Trigger Everyday carry Ammunition

I've got about 150 rounds through it is all. A hundred your basic 230 grain FMJ loads, Federal and Blazer aluminum case The rest were Hornaday American Gunner 185 grain HP's. The FMJ load were no problem at all. The AG 185's worked just fine, when firing, but I had some trouble with them stripping the first round from the magazine into the chamber from a full magazine, unless I worked the slide all the way from slide down. If the slide was back and I tried to either sling shot it, or just use slide release, that first round would nose dive and hang up. If I single loaded a round into the mag first, it was no problem. Chamber the round, then load the mag...no problem. It does that with both the original magazines, and a couple of Colt 8 round mags I've got. It has never malfunctioned with any ammo when firing, just stripping that first round, and only with that American Gunner 185 (sort of a flying ashtray HP). I haven't tried any other HP rounds, and might not. I don't carry the gun, I got it really just for grins and giggles, and it does that well.

Oh, it shoots the American gunner ammo just fine. This was the first mag from 7 yards.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument Jaw String instrument accessory

Enjoy it. I know I do.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I’m still waiting on my ammo to arrive at the house, so I just play with it, I’ve field stripped it twice, just because. I’ve got it lubed up now, I’ll wipe it down when I’m loading the mags.
Now, as all of you have said, you gotta have more than one, right? But I didn’t buy a nicer one, I bought the now discontinued 1911 A1, plastic grips, tiny fixed sights, this is the type gun I shot decades ago in Colorado, when I was first introduced to real firearm handling. A good clone of the original that J M Browning gave us.

· Registered
632 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I’m still waiting on my ammo to arrive at the house, so I just play with it, I’ve field stripped it twice, just because. I’ve got it lubed up now, I’ll wipe it down when I’m loading the mags.
Now, as all of you have said, you gotta have more than one, right? But I didn’t buy a nicer one, I bought the now discontinued 1911 A1, plastic grips, tiny fixed sights, this is the type gun I shot decades ago in Colorado, when I was first introduced to real firearm handling. A good clone of the original that J M Browning gave us.
With the "Army" (both versions) and the "Tanker" I found I would get a bruise (not hammer bite, just a bruise) from the point of the grip safety hitting the webbing between thumb and finger. It never broke the skin or even hurt but was simply there.

Switching to the the MagPul MOE grips moved my dominate thumb slightly lower and in line with the mag release but still parallel with the barrel which also changed the position of the webbing on my hand and no more bruise.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

· Registered
227 Posts
Gotta have more than one? I don't know...do you? ;)

Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Line

I need to redo this picture to add in the bobtail 45. (top) 1911A1 Service, (left) 9mm Tank Commander,
(Right) 9mm Sting-Ray.

The "service" is a lot like the Colt GM I had back in the 70's when I got bit by the IPSC bug...local club level only. My original equipment 70 year old Mark 1 eyeballs have somewhat hard time with those GI type sights, but a dab of white/orange nail polish helps.

Now, I'm trying to beat down the desire for a Gen-U-Wine Colt Combat Commander I saw at my LGS. Wheeee-Doggies...(in my best Jed Clampett impression) that thing was purty. I need it like I need to gain weight, but as my wife says, "What's need got to do with it?" (She is the great enabeler here.)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to shoot the Tisas yesterday, and this being my first 1911, I suck. Started at about 7 yards, paced off, first shot was low a little left, adjusted my sight picture, and landed the next 6 proper hight, a little left still. Had a FTF on the last round of the first mag, was able to lock the slide back, and eject the magazine. That let the cartridge start to load, so I slapped it into battery, and shot that round. Shot the next mag without a hiccup. Moved back to 12 yards paced off again, and I suck. I only brought over 2 magazines, so only shot 14 rounds, but goodness gracious, do I even need ammo and magazines.

· Premium Member
1911's, a bunch and counting...
2,069 Posts
I was able to shoot the Tisas yesterday, and this being my first 1911, I suck. Started at about 7 yards, paced off, first shot was low a little left, adjusted my sight picture, and landed the next 6 proper hight, a little left still. Had a FTF on the last round of the first mag, was able to lock the slide back, and eject the magazine. That let the cartridge start to load, so I slapped it into battery, and shot that round. Shot the next mag without a hiccup. Moved back to 12 yards paced off again, and I suck. I only brought over 2 magazines, so only shot 14 rounds, but goodness gracious, do I even need ammo and magazines.
You'll need at least 7 mags for a single pistol. I recommend at least 10-12 that way you can add another 1911 to the fray and you'll always have enough mags since you'll be continously adding 1-2 mags with each pistol.

I have 16 mags now. 😃

· Premium Member
17,470 Posts
The bobtail 'commanders' that Tisa offers require some sorting out before ordering to make sure you get what you think you bought. The OP's is the steel frame which should be '1911CB45B' (1911, Carry, Blued, .45ACP, Bobtail). The 'Stingray' is '1911CB45BA' ('A' for Aluminum frame). Note that they also have a 'Yukon' model 'lightweight commander' in 10mm! There is evidently a brand new model called the 'Devil Ray' that doesn't have a picture yet but from what I can gather is a 'Stingray' with a few extras.
Whatever, I'm looking forward to getting my 'Stingray'.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts