1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There appears to have been a nearly 20 percent SDS wholesale price increase, so... I jumped on a "in stock at the old price" 1911A1. Should ship Thursday, maybe pickup Saturday, or more likely Monday.

The Tanker 45 I got was darn near perfect in all regards. I had to pick nits to find faults and they were pretty minor.

So, more to come!

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
That’s awesome, congratulations! I can’t wait to see it.

Reactions: GWarden

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was lookin thru the news this AM, and saw a little piece about the money system woes in Turkey.

It seems, sadly for the Turks, that they're experiencing record inflation, and their money is devalued quite a bit on the world money markets.

Theoretically, devaluation of the currency should be beneficial by stimulating exports, unless of course, more items are imported than exported, in which case.... it sucks.

But, having watched Tisas pricing, and CZ Turkish made shotgun pricing for a bit, its pretty easy to see there has been about a 20 percent wholesale price increase sometime between August and November of this year. Not sure what's up with that. My initial thought is just plain ol' profiteering, which of course is one aspect of a free market - Sell things for whatever you can get for 'em!

At any rate, the UPS Boys-in-Brown are saying a Saturday delivery at the FFL, so the 1911A1 ought to be in sometime after 12 noon tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Possibly but don't discount the importer/distributor/retailers trying to get their piece of the hot gun market by inflating the prices. At the end of the day, these guns are still a far better value than many US made 1911s, so I don't mind paying a little more than what they were in 2018 :)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Good value. Odd as this may sound, I grabbed my Tisas in .38 super for ccw in a long trip for a few days. It wasn’t until 100 miles from home that I realized that I chosen a $400 base import gun over one of the (usual) fancy carry 1911’s. 5” steel gi type gun with (now) good sights. Enough rounds through it that I know it is seriously reliable. Could be that I don’t have a fancy high end 5” gi style gun in .38 super. Soon to be remedied with a Caspian build. For the time being, it is my Tisas. Actually I feel well protected. Pretty much all of my guns are US made. Most of the project type of guns started with the lower priced imports. And a couple Springfield Armory Range Officers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the Tisas 1911A1 came in today. Looks great. Didn't get to take it home due to excess wait for the "instant" background check. They estimated 12-14 hours wait! So I go back tomorrow to get it.

Looks good, great trigger, don't like the hump front sight, but... that's correctable. However, I'm accepting the pistol with a fault. The grip safety barely catches the back of the trigger bow. Grrrr. You'd think it was a '70s/'80's Colt by the way it was fit. Empty chamber, cocked hammer, safety catch disengaged, grip safety relaxed, pull trigger - CLICK!. Not good. I'm accepting the pistol, will send it off to SDS for correction. Not really miffed or too terribly disappointed, just one of those things.

On a better note - with the slide off, and as on my tanker, the slide was devoid of tool marks, the bushing was tight in the slide, needed the wrench to turn. Frame devoid of tool marks. Slide stop slid back in as it ought to, no fighting it to get back in there. Thumb safety is perfect. Trigger feels better than my Tanker did when "new". Should be really nice with a little dry firing.

I've been a bit of a fanboy with Tisas, and this does not deter me, as ... its one of those things that happen. I have here, and can fit a new grip safety, but I figure... I shouldn't have to, so its taking a pre-testfire vacation.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
The only complaint I have about my Tisas is that I loaned it to a buddy and now when the subject comes up about gettin it back he just says "you need to just sell me that thing" lol
I told him to just buy his own but he cant find the 2 tone Duty model anywhere. Ive had it a few years now not sure if they discontinued that model or what.
I like the sights on this one, in fact I like just about everything about it.
Post pics of yours when you get it!
Air gun Trigger Mammal Everyday carry Gun barrel

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have it in hand tomorrow nite after work, and will post pics. I promised some pics of the Tanker internals to Ruffdup, and I plan on that too. My weekend project turned out to be Friday nite, all day Sat, all day Sunday, and ain't done yet.... (rip out old flooring, install new....yuk). So I was pretty well tied up or just pooped out.

I expect SDS to respond tomorrow with a tag, and I'll get it all sent off before Tday I imagine, or maybe the Friday after.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just picked up the 9mm version of the 1911A1 - looks just as high quality as the 45 version. I can't stop buying these damn things - they are such a great value for the money. I took the 45 ACP 1911A1 out last weekend as tested it with aluminum and steel case ammo just to see if would run and I had zero issues - it ate it all. I will say that the trigger in the carry models is WAYYYY better than the full size models...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the new Tisas 1911A1 home, and gave it a good cleaning. Took out the safety catch, grip safety and mainspring housing... there was a tiny little hard.... I don't know what... ball of dried smeg, on the top of the mainspring housing. Scraped off. Reassembled with zero spring tweakage or anything.

Grip safety issue RESOLVED

I didn't get any innard shots, and I know Ruffdup wanting some... be patient, if you please ;)

Trigger has predictably gotten a bit better after oh...maybe 150 dry firings on the way home from the FFL.

I'll go into a bunch later, over the long weekend, but for now:

Nice things: Quality good, nice tight fit of slide, barrel, bushing, nice trigger. Phosphate hints of green overtones.

Some not so nice things: Blued (not phosphate) hammer and sear pins. Sear pin is flat/recessed for a ambi safety, right grip is cut for an ambi safety. Front sight is a small "hump" not military style. Mec-Gar magazine is phosphate, but has witness holes with numbers, which is ... ya know... tacky on a "mil type" 1911.

Overall, the negative is basically a few BS items, that I can transform into "my way" for a few bucks.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Table Revolver Gun barrel

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've never even loaded any cartridges in my factory-supplied magazine. I switched right to my Checkmate 7-round G.I. mags.

I've looked all over the factory magazine and I can't find any marks anywhere as to who made the danged thing. Even if I liked it, I can't run with only one magazine, and I wouldn't know where or what to buy to match it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts